Fitting New Headset cant preload any further

steve77345
steve77345 Posts: 52
edited July 2020 in MTB workshop & tech

Comments

• diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Did you change the cups too or just the head set. I don't know FSA, but some kits come with extra washers which you don't always need.

Other thought is that you have the bearing upside down (or the bottom on the top and the top on the bottom), they sometimes have a bevel which is hard to see and lines up in the cups differently.
  • steve77345
    Hi,
    it's a complete new headset, cups and all. Don't have the cups the wrong way as the writing is the right way up. There were no extra spacers in the pack, I will check the bearings are the right way round but I haven't changed how they were packed when they arrived.

The dust cap compresses fully when I take the steerer, can't figure this out at all.
    Steve
  • Matt 24k
    Matt 24k Posts: 186
    Are the bearings properly seated in the the cups? The bearings should come in and out fairly easily but it is possible to get them wonky in the cups and then they wedge against the side making one edge sit up in the cup.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so what is lose?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Need an extra spacer? Could be the top cap hitting the steerer tube?
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • steve77345
    edited July 2020
  • nicklouse
    edited May 2010
    ok then what is the model of the headset?

also what is the number on the bearing?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • steve77345
    edited May 2010
    Hi,

Its an FSA Orbit MX Headset, link below.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=2217

And you know what I have just realised the one in the photo seems to have the same gap that I have?? hmmmm surely that cant be right.

Text on bearing is
    th inductries 1-1/8" ACB45"x36

Steve
  • nicklouse
    there should be a 0.7mm gap.
  • steve77345
    edited July 2020
    Hi,
  • nicklouse
    steve77345 wrote:

Text on bearing is
    th inductries 1-1/8" ACB45"x36

Steve

I hope that is a typo

as it should be 872.

interesting that for the 2010 the MX has the gap reduced to 0.3mm
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    My cane creek has a gap at the bottom in a simialr fashion. Not a very good design.
  • steve77345
    Nick,

Pretty sure that wasnt a typo, but I have just put it all back together and its had its first blast round the back garden. Will strip it back and check later. I assume the numbers are significant in some way, what would it mean if it was 873 and not 872?

Youve no idea how much of a grin I have now having just put together my first build and given it a wee whirl, thanks for your help.

Thanks
    Steve
  • supersonic
    It is a different bearing.

One of my headsets uses both 873 and 872
  • nicklouse
    Ahhh that could well be the problem.

the chamfer angles are different so it will not be sitting in the cups correctly.

MR872-2RS 30.2 41.5 6.5 Angular contact 36°×36°
    MR873-2RS 30.2 41 6.5 Angular contact 36°×45°

as well as having a slightly different OD.

the spec for the 872

I was expecting to see red seals on the bearing and not blue

page 88 for the full specs

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/downloadf ... alogue.pdf
  • steve77345
    Yeah I see what you mean, but why would they sell it with a slightly different cartridge in it? Is this a fault? Should I be sending it back?

Steve
  • nicklouse
    it is a very good question.

if you get an answer please let me know.
  • supersonic
    Just checked my FSA Orbit XL2 - a 871 and 872 bearing. Same angles, but one is deeper than the other.

They may have made a mistake - are both yours the same?
  • steve77345
    They are both blue so I assume they are, but will need to take apart to check numbers on both then mail FSA/CRC and see what they say.

Now that its fitted there is no play or movement, everything feels good, just a rather odd gap....

Steve