STI shifters with v brakes

scrumpydave
scrumpydave Posts: 143
edited April 2010 in Workshop
I'm putting drop bars on my old hybrid to create a touring machine but I've read that road style STI levers are not compatible with v brakes because they do not pull enough cable. I figured I could solve this by setting the blocks closer to the rim. Has anyone tried this? Can it be made to work?

I've got some second hand RSX shifters coming and I'd really like to be able to use them without spending any more money.
Riding the Etape du Tour for Beating Bowel Cancer - click to donate http://bit.ly/P9eBbM

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    it does work, but if your rims goes slightly out of true then the brakes immediately rub, not to mention you have no modulation at all.

A better option is to fit a travel adjuster, relatively cheap, i'd imagine sjs cycles do them and work very well, if a little fiddly to set up.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Mini-Vs might work too.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • markshaw77
    markshaw77 Posts: 437
    I'm in the process of doing the same :D

Trying to set up regular Vs with STI shifters is nigh-on impossible - you have to be so close to the rim that you get no feel at all - they are either on or off!

Mini-Vs are marginally better and still give great stopping power, but again have to be set very close to the rim, so even a minor buckle can leave you needing to completely release the brake to get you home.

I think the best solution is either travel agents like these or making the switch to Cantis