Should I?

Gazlar
Gazlar Posts: 8,084
edited May 2010 in The Crudcatcher
After fitting my new bits and pieces and giving black forest a well deserved clean and lube, I noticed a horrid grinding noise and play around the steerer. On closer inspection, surprise surprise the cheap standard headset is shagged, not a prob though, straight online order a shiny new cane creek from Mr Merlin, send him 23 British pounds, thankyou, goodnight.

But now I'm left with a dilemma. Being quite new to this lark, I've never fitted a headset, but it looks quite simple, so do I ?

A- buy the correct tools knowing they are an investment.

B- pay a professional to do it because that's what they're there for.

C- bodge it with a hammer and plank and spend the money I've saved on booze.

You are the jury, you decide
Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
Amy
Farnsworth
Zapp

Comments

• blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    10 quid my lbs is charging me for crankset / BB fitting and doing the cane creek headset cups. get you 2.5 pints of p!ss water that these days.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    never paid anyone to fit anything! its a peice of p!ss to do.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    iv fitted many headsets with a wooden mallet. its not recomended, and i probably wouldnt on a 2.5k yeti or turner, but TBH its not hard, just be carefull.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Gazlar
    great, so far its a tie between b and c, which means the LBS are going to fit iot for me with a plank and a hammer :!: :!:
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • VWsurfbum
    any plank could do it with a hammer :roll:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • The question is - how expensive was your frame?

If it's carbon. Take it to the LBS. If it's a standard steel/alu job, do it yourself.

The original cups might be stubborn to start with. Get something in there and tap them out with a hammer. You won't be needing them again, and even if you do, they'll no doubt be fine.

Stick a little grease on the new ones to assist getting them in...and back out again! Stick a chock of would on top and tap again with a hammer - you can be more gentle this time. They should slide straight in. Get them properly seated. Job done.

No special tools required.
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    take it to the lbs with biccies

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • Gazlar
    no its not anything fancy and carbon, its a 700 quid focus black forest, I think its now a safe bet im going to bodge it, just wierd that I threatened to fit my brakes with a hammer, now heres something I do get to fit with one
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Use one of these

preDrillPileDriver.jpg

That'll get it seated properly!

Edit: Or dynamite.jpg
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • A bit of wood & hammer is OK for steel headsets, but if you fit an alloy one like this you can distort it a bit I think. I mention this as I fitted one this way a few years ago & while it looked seated correctly it tightened as I turned the bars. It could have been a faulty one I guess.
    I would recommend getting one of these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=10225 Cheaper than the Park budget option & much better. You can sometimes pick up the same unit for less on ebay or other sites. It might take a while to pay for itself but tools are ace!
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Make a headset press.

You need a long threaded bar, a load of washers with an outside diameter about the same as the flat part in the headset cup and a couple of nuts that fit the bar.
  • m_cozzy
    m_cozzy Posts: 132
    I wasted lots of time making a headset puller, unless you can keep the bar dead centre of the headset tube they start going in on the skew anyway. I took it off & tapped the cups in, they went in real easy.
    I was surprised as my last experience with a headset was on a skyway ta back in 1984, me & my dad couldnt get the buggers in, that had to go to the shop!
    Banned from singletrack forum again :-)
  • Gazlar
    I think I'm gonna go at it hammer and tong, it arrived this morning, I ordered it at 3 yesterday afternoon, so once again absolutely fantastic service from the guys at merlin.

One last question though, do I need to fit the star nut that comes with it? or should I be ok using the one already lodged in my fork?
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Use the one already in the fork.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Gazlar
    Thought so, I have the tools now, i have the knowledge, tommorrow is judgement day!!!!
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • VWsurfbum
    I fitted my headset in my carbon frame just the same as I have with every ally/steel frame I have ever had
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty