Using clipless pedals without using the cleats?

CletePurcel
CletePurcel Posts: 68
edited May 2010 in MTB beginners
I am thinking of getting some SPD pedals for my mountain bike, but have a naive question. Are there some clipless pedals that can be used without using SPD shoes?

The reason I ask is that if I just want to quickly jump on the bike to nip to the shops do I have to put on my SPD shoes every time? Or are there some clipless pedals that can be used with ordinary shoes/trainers?
Specialized Rockhopper SL Comp
Specialized Secteur Elite

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You can get ones with cages, or dual sided, but tend to be compromised.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the clip sits proud of the cage rendering the pedal uncomfortable and fairly useless.

use the clip on flats bits that hold the reflectors.

talk to your LBS.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Shimano and Wellgo, both do dual sided pedals. My wife has the Wellgo's and my son uses the Shimano, very handy for when he takes his bike to school or scouts. No need to take other shoes.

These are the Shimano version, the Wellgo's are available on wiggle I think

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=5937

Cheers
    The brave might not live forever, but the cautious don't live at all.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    you can quickly nip to the shops on any pedal without the shoes, it just isn't that fun. I've ridden around on eggbeaters before....
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    Crank Bro's Mallets. I've been using mine since january with normal trainers and had no problems... still too much of a chicken to go spuds. :lol:
  • Thanks for all your replies. I'll check out those dual sided pedals.
  • RockingDad
    RockingDad Posts: 239
    I've just picked up a pair of adapters for my Shimano M520's that convert them to flats. They are PD22 adapters and clip it to the pedal. they are a bit of a bugger to remove but you can put them on one side and clip in with your shoes on the other.

RD
    2010 Carrera Fury
    1992 Raleigh Equipe
  • I was advised against getting half flat pedals as they are fiddly to use. When you want to use the spds there's a 50/50 chance you will have to flip the pedal over.

I've got Shimano 520s (I think) and they are wide enough to use with trainers.
  • My 12yr old son has been using them for over a year and never had a problem, guess you just need to get used to them. You can only clip in on one side of a road pedal, never had a problem with them either. Personally, I wouldn't use them, but if it was practical, I wouldn't hesitate. Your best bet is to buy a crappy ol' bike for nipping to the shops, and buy some egg beaters.
    The brave might not live forever, but the cautious don't live at all.
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    D-Cyph3r wrote:
    Crank Bro's Mallets. I've been using mine since january with normal trainers and had no problems... still too much of a chicken to go spuds. :lol:

So just stick to flats then, there is no right or wrong...
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • CletePurcel
    CletePurcel Posts: 68
    I might go for the Mallet 1 2010s. They look wide enough and are the same on both sides.

I have some Shimano MT60 shoes already. Do the cleats come with the Mallet pedals? It doesn't actually say on any of the websites selling them.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    yes, all pedals that are new come with cleats.
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    Try these powergrip straps
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=28933
    No unclipping hassle.You can wear any shoe.Can power uphill as with clips.Have used them a couple of years on MTB and can climb better than my clipped in friends.Now have them on my new road bike.Will fit any metal framed pedal,just replace your present straps with them.And a lot cheaper!!Also never got stuck in them and fallen off,something i did many times when I tried using clips just cloudn't get used to them, spent more time thinking about unclipping than riding and it spoilt the enjoyment for me.They won't break the bank to try them either.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    The single sided ones (SPD one side, normal flat on the other) are great for commuters but I'd think they'd just be a pain in the a$$ for 'proper' MTBing. If that's what the majority of your riding will be then I'd just go for the dual-sided ones and just put up with it for nipping to the shops- as others have said you can get by if you really have to.