English Democtratic Party

Kiblams
Kiblams Posts: 2,423
edited April 2010 in The Crudcatcher
I watched their political party broadcast a while back and I must admit it's an interesting point; the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish people have a means of deciding legislation for their own countries, so why don't the English?

Discuss.

Comments

• El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Kiblams wrote:
    so why don't the English?
    Discuss.

You do, it's called Westminster...
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    I thought it was the most amateur party election broadcast ever, they make UKIP look professional and mainstream.

Scotland gets more public spending becuase it generates more tax revenue then anywhere in the UK except London
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    RichMTB wrote:
    I thought it was the most amateur party election broadcast ever, they make UKIP look professional and mainstream.

Christ on a bike! :shock:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    bails87 wrote:
    RichMTB wrote:

Christ on a bike! :shock:

No, that would be the Christian party: www.christianparty.org.uk

:D
  • Kiblams
    I didn't say I support them, just that they raise some interesting points.

I had never even considered the odd things happening in Westminster until I saw that broadcast, for example; SNP ministers voting on UK eductation policies that don't actually affect Scotland in any way...
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Kiblams wrote:
    I had never even considered the odd things happening in Westminster until I saw that broadcast, for example; SNP ministers voting on UK eductation policies that don't actually affect Scotland in any way...

Yup, it's ridiculous that English only policies are debated in the UK parliament. Obvious solution is to not do that. People act like it's unfair that scottish MPs (not MSPs) get to vote on these but actually it's totally the other way round, it's wrong that provincial only matters take up time in the national parliament.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Kiblams
    Northwind wrote:
    Yup, it's ridiculous that English only policies are debated in the UK parliament. Obvious solution is to not do that. People act like it's unfair that scottish MPs (not MSPs) get to vote on these but actually it's totally the other way round, it's wrong that provincial only matters take up time in the national parliament.

Erm... they aren't English only policies, they are UK policies :wink:
  • This is known as the West Lothian Question, english matters should be decided by english MPs.[/quote]
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Kiblams wrote:
    Erm... they aren't English only policies, they are UK policies :wink:

It's not a UK policy if it doesn't apply in the entire of the UK.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • This is what infuriates me along with the whole electoral system.

The whole thing needs an overhaul. What the best electoral system would be best for the UK and most representative i don't know. So many to choose from, all with advantages and disadvantages.

As for the West Lothian affair. UK wide issues should be discussed but scottish MP's should not be allowed to vote on matters that only affect the UK.

Once these issues are sorted i will then start to take politics seriously, until then i will carry on voting how i normally vote because a vote for anything else is a waste of time. The respresentation in parliament is the most important thing for me!
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.