Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB workshop & tech

Scott Genius chain device?

zedheadzedhead Posts: 106
edited May 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
So, with much rattling from the chain on downhills, and non-use of the big ring, I've decided to go double & bash, with a chain device on my Genius.
But, the issue is how will a chain device fit with the quirky way that the front derailleur fits on the Genius?
Early Orange 5, Felt Z85, Scott Thicko, modified Giant full suss (both nicked)- beat-up single-speed rigid 1992 Saracen, and various 2-wheelers with big engines

Posts

  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 50,675 Lives Here
    whatever you fit will not stop the chain noise.

    all you will be able to run is a BB mount lower wheel device.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • zedheadzedhead Posts: 106
    Okay, but presumably the chain device is still worthwhile to prevent chain popping off rings?
    Early Orange 5, Felt Z85, Scott Thicko, modified Giant full suss (both nicked)- beat-up single-speed rigid 1992 Saracen, and various 2-wheelers with big engines
  • Is there room for another BB mounted device? Isn't the front mech an E type?
  • zedheadzedhead Posts: 106
    Err, not sure what an E-type mech is?...
    Is there an issue with fitting two 'plates' in the BB?
    Early Orange 5, Felt Z85, Scott Thicko, modified Giant full suss (both nicked)- beat-up single-speed rigid 1992 Saracen, and various 2-wheelers with big engines
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 50,675 Lives Here
    your mech bolts onto the swing arm?

    so it is not a true E type device which is a bb mounted mech.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • zedheadzedhead Posts: 106
    Ahah! The mech does, indeed, mount onto a plate in the BB! So the issue is whether a dual mech is available in this format? Or can a short cage be added to the triple ring mech?
    Early Orange 5, Felt Z85, Scott Thicko, modified Giant full suss (both nicked)- beat-up single-speed rigid 1992 Saracen, and various 2-wheelers with big engines
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 50,675 Lives Here
    no the mech is fine to use as is.

    BUT you may have BB problems now.

    So back to your set up. pics and part numbers. and frame year.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ilovedirtilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    A mech is a mech, no point changing it. I have a genius, you can't fit a chain device without getting rid of the mech, i'm afraid! That's pretty much all there is to it.
    Production Privee Shan

    B'Twin Triban 5
  • zedheadzedhead Posts: 106
    nicklouse wrote:
    no the mech is fine to use as is.
    BUT you may have BB problems now.
    So back to your set up. pics and part numbers. and frame year.

    I had heard that the standard, long, three ring mech would suffer from worse chain rub - as it is the chain scuff the long guide on the mech, so was expecting to have to fit a shorter, dual ring specific mech...
    Will try and sort pics later...
    Early Orange 5, Felt Z85, Scott Thicko, modified Giant full suss (both nicked)- beat-up single-speed rigid 1992 Saracen, and various 2-wheelers with big engines
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 50,675 Lives Here
    zedhead wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    no the mech is fine to use as is.
    BUT you may have BB problems now.
    So back to your set up. pics and part numbers. and frame year.

    I had heard that the standard, long, three ring mech would suffer from worse chain rub - as it is the chain scuff the long guide on the mech, so was expecting to have to fit a shorter, dual ring specific mech...
    Will try and sort pics later...

    makes no difference.if the chain is the correct length.

    you can easily use a long cage with a single ring with Zero issues.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stevet1992stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    ilovedirt wrote:
    A mech is a mech, no point changing it. I have a genius, you can't fit a chain device without getting rid of the mech, i'm afraid! That's pretty much all there is to it.

    Surely if its on a e-type plate you can just get something like A E-type Blackburn Stinger ?
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

    Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • zedheadzedhead Posts: 106
    I'll know soon whether a BB style chain device will do the trick as I have a Blackburn Stinger on its way to try out...

    Nickl - was referring to long/short cage on the front mech, not rear :wink:
    Early Orange 5, Felt Z85, Scott Thicko, modified Giant full suss (both nicked)- beat-up single-speed rigid 1992 Saracen, and various 2-wheelers with big engines
  • ilovedirtilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    stevet1992 wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:
    A mech is a mech, no point changing it. I have a genius, you can't fit a chain device without getting rid of the mech, i'm afraid! That's pretty much all there is to it.

    Surely if its on a e-type plate you can just get something like A E-type Blackburn Stinger ?
    No, because then your chainset wouldn't fit. You cannot mount anything else onto the BB.
    Production Privee Shan

    B'Twin Triban 5
  • stevet1992stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    ilovedirt wrote:
    stevet1992 wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:
    A mech is a mech, no point changing it. I have a genius, you can't fit a chain device without getting rid of the mech, i'm afraid! That's pretty much all there is to it.

    Surely if its on a e-type plate you can just get something like A E-type Blackburn Stinger ?
    No, because then your chainset wouldn't fit. You cannot mount anything else onto the BB.

    Im on about one of these

    40530.jpg

    Take off the mech and the mech mount ... Then fit the stinger and fir the mech to the stinger
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

    Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • ilovedirtilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    How does it work? Do you still have to mount the E-type mech on the BB or does it somehow bolt onto that without needing a BB mount?

    EDIT: sorry i just got my e-type mech out my draw, i can see what you mean now! I didn't know the BB plate on the mech was removable, yeah that would work, though i'm not entirely sure it would eliminate your rattling problem, but it would help you from dropping your chain i suppose, if you ever get that.
    Production Privee Shan

    B'Twin Triban 5
  • stevet1992stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    ilovedirt wrote:
    How does it work? Do you still have to mount the E-type mech on the BB or does it somehow bolt onto that without needing a BB mount?

    EDIT: sorry i just got my e-type mech out my draw, i can see what you mean now! I didn't know the BB plate on the mech was removable, yeah that would work, though i'm not entirely sure it would eliminate your rattling problem, but it would help you from dropping your chain i suppose, if you ever get that.

    Bolts onto those 2 tabs at the top of the mounting plate
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

    Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • ilovedirtilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Yep, just figured that out!
    Production Privee Shan

    B'Twin Triban 5
Sign In or Register to comment.