Chainset mix and matching

Will.C
Will.C Posts: 245
edited April 2010 in Road beginners
Quick question, I had asked in another thread but though maybe a new thread might be better.

Excuse the noob question but something I've been wondering, you can in theory, change your chainset to anything, be it campag, shimano, sram etc aslong as it's the same size oui?

It's just most chainsets when advertised also mention the gearing in the name ie - Campagnolo Centaur Carbon UT 10 Spd Chainset would suggest it can only be used with 10 sp and the Campagnolo 06 Mirage Double 9 Spd Chainset would suggest 9sp but both are just crank arms with a 53/39 chainring?

Cheers :)

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,551
    many components are easily swappable

most brands are fairly compatible, but campagnolo is usually not mixed with others as it tends to be less similar

9/10/11 speed chains are different, and there are corresponding differences in the rest of the drive train

using the wrong bits together could be fine, or disaster, or 'only' result in accelerated wear, poor shifting etc., it depends what is being mixed

this charts lists various dimensions, you can see the slight variation in sizes between the main three 9-speed makers...

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#spacing
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny