Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

The best looking helmet ?

BrocadeBrocade Posts: 433
edited May 2010 in Road buying advice
I am sick and tired of having a mushroom on my head for a helmet. I've decided good looks are more important than safety features or aerodynamics. What is the best looking road helmet out there, on the minimalist side of things, for an average medium oval shaped head ?
BMC Pro Machine
Enigma Ego

• on-yer-bikeon-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Catlike whisper
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • cjwcjw Posts: 1,889
    Catlike whisper

Personally I think they're the ugliest, mushrromiest looking helmet made :shock:
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 1,021
    cjw wrote:
    Catlike whisper

Personally I think they're the ugliest, mushrromiest looking helmet made :shock:

+1

i like the Giro Atmos and Ionis, and they fit my head..... :D
  • antflyantfly Posts: 3,276
    David Walliams has a nice looking helmet.
    It`s an Abus or something.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • BrocadeBrocade Posts: 433
    Thanks.

Any thoughts on the following:
    - Limar 909
    - Bell Whisper
    - Cratoni Ceron
    - Met Ippogrifo
    - Bell Ghisallo
    - Bell Sweep
    - Catlike Kompact
    ?
    BMC Pro Machine
    Enigma Ego
  • I like my Spiuk Daggon, but I'm tempted by a Specialized SWorks
  • bompingtonbompington Posts: 7,674
    This appears to me to be stating the obvious, but if looks are more important than safety or aerodynamics, why wear a helmet at all?
  • TommyEssTommyEss Posts: 1,855
    I like my Bell Sweep.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
    Vanity, really. Nothing more.
    bompington wrote:
    This appears to me to be stating the obvious, but if looks are more important than safety or aerodynamics, why wear a helmet at all?
    BMC Pro Machine
    Enigma Ego
  • skyd0gskyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Best looking helmet?

...mine on Cheyl Cole. :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • softladsoftlad Posts: 3,513
    Brocade wrote:

in which case, you will look better without one...
  • softlad wrote:
    Brocade wrote:

in which case, you will look better without one...

I think what the OP is trying to say, is that he will be wearing a helmet, but he doesn't care if its not the most aero or the most protective - but just wants the one that looks the best.

Having a little peanut head - I feel the same!!
  • Monty DogMonty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you want something minimalist and low profile, try a Limar F106. Lighter than the new Giro and feels like it isn't there.

I've been a fan of Catlike for a number of years, but the new Whisper = colander

Recently acquired a Lazer Helium - best fitting / adjusting helmet IME. Very well made and if you shop around, you can buy it for less than a Giro, which are of dubious quality IME and you'll need their warranty support because inevitably you'll have a problem...
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Cycling Plus put the external dimensions of the helmets they tested a few months ago - if only all the manufacturers could do this so I can find the slimmest one!
  • TommyEssTommyEss Posts: 1,855
    You really have to just get in the shops and try them on in front of a mirror though to be sure!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
    TommyEss wrote:
    You really have to just get in the shops and try them on in front of a mirror though to be sure!

But this is really about what other people think, not what I think ! I want to look cool to others, not myself in the mirror. Or maybe I do..
    BMC Pro Machine
    Enigma Ego
  • And ride to the shop, as all cycle helmets look weird if you're not in bike gear!
    robbiedont wrote:
    And ride to the shop, as all cycle helmets look weird if you're not in bike gear!

Very good point !

A follow-up question: should the helmet match my bikes colours ?
    BMC Pro Machine
    Enigma Ego
  • popularnamepopularname Posts: 173

follow-up question: should the helmet match my bikes colours ?

Well, you have to be careful. I went into my LBS and said to the guy that I wanted a red helmet to match my bike and he said (bear in mind here that I am 6 ft 5 and bearded) "yes, a lot of the ladies like helmets in matching colours". :lol:

follow-up question: should the helmet match my bikes colours ?

Well, you have to be careful. I went into my LBS and said to the guy that I wanted a red helmet to match my bike and he said (bear in mind here that I am 6 ft 5 and bearded) "yes, a lot of the ladies like helmets in matching colours". :lol:
    A few of us have got Rudy Projects Actyum, light, cool and comfortable, I like the netting that stops bees/wasps getting trapped in your hair.

RRP is about £95 but my LBS does that for about £50

31996-3.jpg
  • TheStoneTheStone Posts: 2,291
    For me Giro, Met and Bell make the best looking helmets.

Catlike and Specialized are horrible looking.

If money no object (and it fits you well), a black/carbon coloured Giro Ionas
    exercise.png
  • guineaguinea Posts: 1,177
    antfly wrote:
    David Walliams has a nice looking helmet.

really?
  • flasherflasher Posts: 1,733
    UVEX FP1 8)
  • PokerfacePokerface Posts: 7,960
    I've got my eye on something a little different for my next purchase. Ekoi Squadra:

ras_mumhan_stage_1_047.jpg
  • SquillinossettSquillinossett Posts: 1,678
    Pokerface wrote:
    I've got my eye on something a little different for my next purchase. Ekoi Squadra:

ras_mumhan_stage_1_047.jpg

I too will be buying this, have a Las Krypon at the moment, but love the look of that helmet!
  • macondo01macondo01 Posts: 706
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/protection/helmet-standard/product/chamonix-helmet-10108

Not the most snazzy helmet I know but it looks ok and if you are on a budget for £27 you can't do better - conforms to Snell B90A (which is a good safety test apparently)

Better in black

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=14279
    "Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

National Lampoon
  • I have a small peanut head and found the LAS Squalo to be a close fitting low profile helmet. I suffered from mushroom head looks prior to getting it.

It is definitely one of those helmets that you will either love or hate due to the styling of the vents. I have it in red black and white highlights. I think it is uber 8) and you very rarely see another as you do spesh lids etc...
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • bigmatbigmat Posts: 5,132
    Spesh helmets look OK from the front but if you ride behind someone wearing one it looks like they have a giant comedy crown on! Bell and Giro both look good to me (same manuufacturer?) and I quite like the Lazer ones as well. I guess to be really snazzy you need a bit of carbon, but I'm happy with my Bell Sweep R. Catlike must be the marmite of helmets - I'm really not a fan but some people seem to love them!
  • giant_mangiant_man Posts: 6,878
    I don't like the look of the Specialized helmets with the duck bill at the back. Ugh, Snell rating or not they is UGLY.

What I do like are the Giro (Ionos and Atmos) and Bell (Volt and Sweep R) helmets, also the Lazer Genesis. The Las and Catlike are just weird.