Another "which bike" thread...

acrebo
acrebo Posts: 16
edited May 2010 in MTB buying advice
Apologies guys, I'm sure you regulars get sick of these!

I'm torn between the Trek 4500 and the Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc as to what to go for... it'll be a short commute during the week and then trail / light offroad stuff on the weekend.

The chap in the store has advised that the Specialized would probably be a better compromise, but I get the feeling that's just what he'd rather sell me.

Does either of these have any particular strengths over the other that shouldn't be ignored?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Very similar machines on paper. I'd simply go for the one that feels best when sat on it.

Do they stock anything else? Or any other shops in the area?
  • acrebo
    The other main brand they stock is Marin, but that felt really 'big' to me!

There are other stores in the are, but I getting the bike on my company's Cycle to Work scheme, and they are one of the main retailers that support it.

There are other retailers around though, that stock the likes of Scott, Cannondale, Bianchi, Kona, etc... anything in the £500 bracket from those that I should consider above my aforementioned options?

Thanks for the advice.
  • abarth_1200
    abarth_1200 Posts: 370
    The Hardrock comp has a lower spec, If you have a look at the Hardrock Pro it will be a more similair spec to the 4500.

BTW I have the Pro its a great bike
  • acrebo
    Thanks mate, I meant the 4300 as opposed to the 4500. Budget would be getting a bit stretched otherwise!

Is it worth plumping the extra bit for the 4500 or Hardrock Pro? If so, would you recommend the Pro over the 4500?
  • Rickbus
    Rickbus Posts: 39
    I also have the Hardrock Pro Disc 2010.
    Had no issues with it so far. +1
    Specialized Hardrick Pro Disc 2010
  • acrebo
    I popped to my bike store yesterday and had a good look / sit on the Hardrock Comp, Pro as well as the Trek 4500.

Have to admit, the Trek felt better for me and I much prefer the look of it over the Specialized curves. It felt a bit bulkier and "sturdier" (?), so I've plumped for one of those.

It should be in on the 24th, can't wait! :)

As a side note, the chap in the store had a look on his laptop for Hardrock Pro availability and he said that Specialized have now discontinued the 2010 Pro, so if you want one you'd better act fast. He had one in store and that was it...