xc front tyre?

JamesBrckmn
JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
edited May 2010 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking at getting new tyres, a spesh captain 2.0 s works rear, and for the front either this: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Panar ... 936499363/ in 2.1 or this: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... gn=froogle
all i want from the front tyre is to be bigger than the rear, grippy in corners, with a fair bit of bite on the side knobs, so i loose the back end first, and roll fast and last a long time, while braking well too, so any other options, or which of these two?

Comments

• BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    At the moment Im running a Specialied sauserwind s-works front and a Specialized storm control rear,very light and fast rolling,sauserwind grips well in intermediate conditions and the storm is great in lose damp/wet muddy climbs,which where I live is all year round. :roll:
    last year I ran a set of s-works Captains, fantastic tyres in a set but tend to slide out on intermediate to wet climbs as a rear tyre,I think this is due to the harder compound center ridge which is for fast rolling on the harder pack stuff,but and Im not saying this happens all the time,but the tighter knobs just dont bite as well as as a wider spaced tyre.
    I think ive found my Ideal tyre combo for my local conditions even in the dry the Storm rolls very well all year around.If you live in an area where the trails almost dry out , then the captains should do great,very good trail centre tyre.

long winded but I hope this helps. :D
  • JamesBrckmn
    thanks both of you.
    boydie, where i live is a bit drier, and i wanted something a bit faster for dryish conditions, and mud tyres tend to be quite slow on roads, and i do a bit of road too to school and stuff, so i don't really want a mud tyre. also, i don't mind the rear sliding out a bit, so i think i'll get a captain for the back.
    peter, the ignitor only comes in 2.35 which is too big, and 2.1 which is too small as maxxis are normally smaller than they say and only in 70a, no 60a option. i'm looking for something that is about 2.1 or 2.2, or a maxxis 2.25.

does anyone have any expereince of the purgatory or the fire xc?
    or know if the fire xc 2.1 will be bigger than a captain 2.0?
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Ignitors are fine size wise and you do get a 62a version, just a minute and I will look...
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    Captains are quite big in a 2.0,large air volume,a slightly taller tyre......If that makes sense :?
  • JamesBrckmn
    ok thanks- i have the 2.2 atm at the back, and it's nice having the a big volume tyre on the back of a hardtail, but do you think the 2.1 62a ignitor will be bigger and grippier than the captain 2.0?
  • JamesBrckmn
    what about this: http://www.nextdaytyres.com/tyres/Schwa ... y-Nic.aspx ?
    the 2.25 evo version? are schwalbe bigger or smaller than stated?
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    I run a 2.35 Ignitor upfront and a 2.1 Highroller rear :)
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • JamesBrckmn
    so nobby nic 2.25, panaracer fire xc 2.1 or specialized purgatory? any experience/opinions of them?
    thanks, james
  • dwill
    dwill Posts: 150
    panaracer xc pro £50 a pair from merlin you cant go far wrong, :lol: think theres some on the classifieds for about £40
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    Running the panaracer fire xcs on my stumpy fsr and i really like them. My bike came with the captains and they were only good when the ground is dry and hard.The fires Seem to have great grip, roll well and are pretty light. A good all rounder imo. Had the ignitors on my old rockhopper, pretty similar to the fires, very good all round.
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • lonzo
    lonzo Posts: 62
    In the summer I have been running a wire bead Ignitor 2.1 on the front and wire bead panaracer fire xc on the rear. I ride mostly on hard pack with roots & loose gravel. The ignitor comes up small but it is fast rolling and grips nicely in the corners in the dry. It won't grip like a panaracer fire xc though and slides easily, albeit forgivingly, in wet conditions. I generally run the fire xc on the rear as I think it has more traction from the square nobs, but it's been really dry recently so I reversed the tread on the panaracer to make it faster rolling and it seems to work well, judging by the weather I'll be switching it back again for the weekend!

The panaracer is the better all rounder but ultimately it depends on whether your priority is grip in the corners or a fast rolling tyre.

Sorry I don't know about the other tyres mentioned, never tried them.
  • JamesBrckmn
    ok thanks for your replies. lonzo and mudsucker, good to hear you like the fire xc pro, and i don't really want a pair or second hand so i'll get it from wiggle (£27). i'll just use the captain on the back, as i don't mind the back sliding out, but when the front slides out, i generally end up on my face, so i won't get the ignitor or captain for the front. do you think the nobby nick is any good? better than the fire xc pro or the purgatory?
  • James, I've got a brand new one, unused, kevlar folding, all black, one tyre for £22 or both for £42 (both include postage) :D
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Nobby;s are NOT worth what you pay got them front and rear on my hardtail, not overly impressed..., I've tried lots of tyres over the years, and always end up back with minions, 42a super tacky front, lots of grip, maxxpro (62a?) rear... luverly! and cheap as well...
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    I got Fire XC's on my EX8 and to be honest i'm finding them overkill on dry hardpack and fire roads. I'm currently eyeing up a pair of Nobby Nics myself, good volume, fast rolling and low weight for a 2.35"er and you can get them with red go faster stripes :D
  • ratty2k
    and £40 against £20-25...
    My Pics !

• Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Winter/wet, Panaracer XC Pros 2.1

Dry/Summer, Specialized Fast Trak 2.2

Rocky/rough Conti Mtn Kings 2.2

There...now you know. LOL !
  • ratty2k
    D-Cyph3r wrote:
    Still a good bit more than a minion, and no better, in fact, not as good IMO...
    And to follow splots post, Minion, er summer, winter rocky, muddy whatever...
    My Pics !

• bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    in my experience nn's handle similarly to the fires if both in 2.1, but they roll a little faster, weigh a little less, cost a little more, and don't have quite as aggressive grip in the corners.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • JamesBrckmn
    at next day tyres the nobby nic 2.25 was £30, but thanks for the links anyway: http://www.nextdaytyres.com/tyres/Schwa ... y-Nic.aspx
    so it seems for winter/muddy conditions, fire xc pros are the best, nobby nics are over priced and not good in wet, but what about purgatorys? http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... gn=froogle