Romandie stage 2 (spoilerific)

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    johnfinch wrote:
    Errrr, Iain, aren't you a Basso fan? Isn't what he did a wee bit more cockish than what Cav did today?

Maybe. But does that change the fact that Cav keeps doing cockish things after cockish thing?

Oh go on. Lets do a joke then

What's the difference between Basso and Cavendish?

Basso's drug dealing sibling looks good in a bikini
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    If you were a casual fan, didn't know much about it and saw that, would you have a positive impression?

To be honest, quite possibly yes. Unless you were a prim 70-year old spinster at a W.I. meeting.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    iainf72 wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:
    Errrr, Iain, aren't you a Basso fan? Isn't what he did a wee bit more cockish than what Cav did today?

Maybe. But does that change the fact that Cav keeps doing cockish things after cockish thing?

Oh go on. Lets do a joke then

I was just wondering why you hate Cav, but not the likes of Basso - not criticising, cos you can like and dislike whoever you choose, but have you got some sort of criteria?
  • iainf72
    johnfinch wrote:

I was just wondering why you hate Cav, but not the likes of Basso - not criticising, cos you can like and dislike whoever you choose, but have you got some sort of criteria?

Not really. Cavendish seems to consistently come across like a tool. So that's pretty much it. I've given him a fair shake though, even bought his book and read the whole thing.

Also, to be completely honest, sprinters bore the tits off me so he didn't stand much of a chance :wink:

Persona wise : I see Cavendish and Ricco as similar type of people. Mark not full of needle holes but the same kind of personality.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    andyp wrote:
    In Europe it means two. It's only a UK thing where it means something else. In that regard, it's actually quite clever.

Yup - I was going to say the same thing. Only folks in the UK know what the old two finger salute means.

So stop yer whingin'!
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    iainf72 wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

Not really. Cavendish seems to consistently come across like a tool. So that's pretty much it. I've given him a fair shake though, even bought his book and read the whole thing.

Also, to be completely honest, sprinters bore the tits off me so he didn't stand much of a chance :wink:

Persona wise : I see Cavendish and Ricco as similar type of people. Mark not full of needle holes but the same kind of personality.

OK, fair enough. Personally I couldn't give a monkey's about any sportsman's personality (or, in most cases, lack of it) - I switch off the TV as soon as the standings have been shown. Somehow watching someone talk about how they got from A to B slightly faster than everybody else does nothing for me.
  • nasahapley
    nasahapley Posts: 717
    iainf72 wrote:
    If you were a casual fan, didn't know much about it and saw that, would you have a positive impression?

To be honest, quite possibly yes. Unless you were a prim 70-year old spinster at a W.I. meeting.

I'd classify myself as a 'casual fan', I'm certainly not as die-hard as the great and good of the Bikeradar Pro Race forum, and I think it's pretty funny and nothing to get all excited about. Whisper it, but the casual fan might actually think watching bike racing is pretty boring a lot of the time; four hours of not a lot happening followed by a sprint, so anything that shows that there are actually characters in the peleton behind the emotionless helmet n'glasses facades isn't all bad.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Mark Cavendish = Ronnie O'Sullivan on a bike.

50% of the people watching think he's a genius with the sun shining out of his arse, the other 50% think he's a yobbish lout without two brain cells to rub together. 100% agree he's the best at what he does.

PS, I LOLed at Iain's joke.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    Pokerface wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    In Europe it means two. It's only a UK thing where it means something else. In that regard, it's actually quite clever.

Yup - I was going to say the same thing. Only folks in the UK know what the old two finger salute means.

So stop yer whingin'!

He clarified what he meant by the gesture in the post race winners' interview.

Apparantly, it was for the people, including journos, who know "jack sh*t".

I doubt that got lost in translation.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    iainf72 wrote:

You're underestimating 70 year old W.I. members
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Pokerface wrote:
    andyp wrote:

So stop yer whingin'!

He's not wrong though, is he!?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    Pokerface wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    andyp wrote:

So stop yer whingin'!

He's not wrong though, is he!?

No he's not.

Then again, I know jack sh!t myself.
  • afx237vi
    BTW, I wonder if Cav's ever met Judith Arndt?

Judith_Arndt_300.jpg
  • Tusher
    iainf72 wrote:

:lol: Is Pierre planning to interview Cav soon?
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    iainf72 wrote:

Cav had a run-in with the tooth fairy, and Basso had a run-in with the truth fairy?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Tusher
    :lol:

keep 'em coming boys.
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    iainf72 wrote:

Ach, this kinda winds me up. I largely agree with most of what you've said until here. "Consistently like a tool," or "Consistently like a very driven, very talented, off-form person"? & how would you differentiate?

Cavendish & Ricco, the same personality FFS? Yes, they're both very brash & arrogant, but that hardly makes the same type of person, does it? The question is why brash & arrogant, surely.... Serial killer & person with OCD can present the same to their neighbour, how similar are they?
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    What a pompus lot get over it :D
    What would you like him to do, unclip his helmet and DOFF it?
    Go Cav.
    Cav for SPOTTY this year for sure :D
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    afx237vi wrote:
    BTW, I wonder if Cav's ever met Judith Arndt?

Judith_Arndt_300.jpg

All becuase the lady's lesbian lover was not picked for the German Olympic team !
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Go Cav.

I know. It's as though Mary Whitehouse and her followers have risen from the grave and have internet access.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    This is the correct Euro Cyclist form

ff_cycling1.jpg
  • iainf72
    Go Cav.

Couldnt he just celebrate like a normal cyclist? Why does a rich successful famous cyclist have to act as if the world owes him something?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    I agree with Oldwelshman here, some of you sound so pompous. He's just won a race having been taking flak of the cycling media / forums, he has problems within his family, a team mate who has been telling the press that he should have been picked ahead of Cav for MSR, has been suffering health wise for a few months and is pumped full of adrenaline. I can remember Nasser Hussain doing something similar a few years back. These sportsmen are living under the pressure of having to win and being publicly criticised with winning being their only way to make a point. Cav is also, by his own admission, a bit hot headed so the celebration is hardly a shock and, let's face it the v sign isn't quite as offensive as some are making it out to be. As for the interview response, what do you expect when you shove a microphone under someone's nose in the above circumstances?

You can say what you like about Cav's hot headed reactions but he has shown in the past that if he believes he has done wrong he will apologise when he calms down as he did with Hushovd in the Tour (even though IMO Cav was hard done by in the case).

Not everyone has the cool under pressure temperment that some on here would like to see, it's the same in all walks of life.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I think he's a great sprinter and a "colourful" character. Sure he's been under pressure and it's been a bad year, I won't argue with those justifications. But the picture of him crossing the line, it's not particularly edifying.

Oh wait, I'm British. Shouldn't I be shouting "Goooo on Cav my son!"?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I am hoping he will get time to drop his shorts and flash his arse at the press in the next stage :D I wonder what comments that would bring on the etiquette ploice forum :lol:
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    One thing that wasn't yesterday, is a spontaneous reaction. It was planned, calculated and executed..............and has apparently achieved the desired effect.
    Let's face it, there was little else to get folks worked up about in that drab little stage.

Greipel has been getting all the attention, since he's been riding and winning a lot.
    Cav has been sidelined and racing little.
    One win against third tier sprinters and he's gained maximum impact with the minimum of success.

He's not the first "star" and he won't be the last, to use the media in such a way.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iainf72
    "I did it really to say I'm back. Today I showed I had not lost it, that my team had not lost it. It was not only me who was written down but also my team," he said.

WOT? Has anyone "written off" HTC? Yes, people would write off the #1 rank team. That makes a lot of sense.
  • afx237vi
    iainf72 wrote:
    "I did it really to say I'm back. Today I showed I had not lost it, that my team had not lost it. It was not only me who was written down but also my team," he said.

WOT? Has anyone "written off" HTC? Yes, people would write off the #1 rank team. That makes a lot of sense.

I asked that exact same thing yesterday and got no reply. Looking for one single example of a journalist or even a fan who has written him off... just one... anyone?

Just because you're paranoid...
  • Tusher
    I read (?cycling news) that he'd been slated by Gazzetta, or he perceived that he had been.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Kléber wrote:
    C.o.c.k.

He could get DQ'd for that, it's within the rules.
    I hate to say it... but I told you :wink: