Ashima SOS brake pads

jf22901
jf22901 Posts: 155
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
Just thought I'd let everyone know about my experience with these pads. I needed some new Juicy 7 pads, and my LBS only had one Avid pad in stock, so I got an Ashima SOS as well, which I thought would do for the front brake.

Upon opening, the spring which goes in between the pads didn't fit - it was too large, and stuck out over the edge of the pads. I decided to use the one from the Avid pads I was replacing, and this fit a treat. However, after installing the pads, I found they are much thicker than the genuine Avid ones - there is no gap at all between the pad and the rotor. The wheel turned for about 1.5 revolutions and then stopped. I tried pushing the pistons as far in as they'd go, and tried to bed it in, but the pads are still too thick. :(

I have since got a new Avid one, which works much better, and is cheaper to boot. And the moral of this story? Stick to what you know works in the future! :D

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Did you push the pistons back fully before fitting?
  • jf22901
    supersonic wrote:

Yes. I got a screwdriver and waggled it between the old pads before removing them, and after having problems, I took the Ashima pads out again and tried to push the pistons even further back. They wouldn't move any further in, and the problem was still there.

I assume I just got a faulty pad, as they have gotten good reviews, but I won't be spending that much money again just to check! :D
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Seen this a few times with certain pads - only a fraction of a mm too much and the distance can be too little.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    jf22901 wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

Yes. I got a screwdriver and waggled it between the old pads before removing them, and after having problems, I took the Ashima pads out again and tried to push the pistons even further back. They wouldn't move any further in, and the problem was still there.

So the pistons were flush with the caliper body or was the system over filled with fluid stopping you push them home?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jf22901
    nicklouse wrote:
    So the pistons were flush with the caliper body or was the system over filled with fluid stopping you push them home?
    The pistons were flush with the body. One of them took a lot more forcing than the rest to make it flush though - do you think it'll be ok left like this, or should the brakes be bled/fluid removed?