Blissford Hill - New Forest

Paul32uk
Paul32uk Posts: 80
edited May 2010 in Road beginners
I have a sportive event in July that includes this hill as part of the route. I've heard it has a nice steep short challenging section in it. I'm doing a lot of cycling around the forest but would like to know exactly where this hill is.

I can see there is a road with the name "Blissford Hill" but I'm unsure if this is the road the hill is on.

I dont suppose someone could do a screeny of google maps showing where this road is for me could they??

Cheers
Paul

exercise.png

Comments

• Paul32uk
    Thanks, appears it is on the road i found too then. I know where I'll be off to this weekend :twisted:

exercise.png
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    I live near that hill, it is truly the work of the devil, rough concrete covered in broken tarmac and steep as a steep thing :shock:
    Good luck.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • kingderham
    kingderham Posts: 206
    Ive got half way up then got off and pushed :(
    Ive seen cars struggle up that hill
    Going down it is like dropping off the end of the world. :D
    Just enjoy it
    Gossford hill is nearby.
    A mouthfull of mud, i guess ive crashed

Giant xtc se
    Trek 1.2compact
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    Nice thing about it is that it is short, so it is perfectly do-able. Biggest challenge I had, though, was to do with my technique and making sure my front wheel didn't lift off the tarmac.
    It is made easier by being straight after a descent so you can carry quite some speed into it, but

beware

there are often free roaming cattle in this area, and when I've been past, they were grazing on the grass verge right at the bottom, with all the risks of wandering out into your path, so be very very wary of picking up too much speed on the descent.
  • afcbian
    afcbian Posts: 424
    Work of the devil......??
    Me thinks not !
    Sure it's steep but it's short and really not that bad. 8)
    I ride therefore I am
  • Paul32uk
    Have any of you been up Athelston road in Southampton which has a really steep hill at the end?

If you have is it comparible to that. I dont think Google is doing any justice to the steepness of it by the sounds of it. I think the steepest short climb I've done so far is heading out of Lyndhurst and turning right to go towards Bolderwood. The hill straight after the cattle grid there. I can get up that easily enough albeit in a very low gear :oops:

exercise.png
  • Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    Paul32uk wrote:
    Have any of you been up Athelston road in Southampton which has a really steep hill at the end?

If you have is it comparible to that. I dont think Google is doing any justice to the steepness of it by the sounds of it. I think the steepest short climb I've done so far is heading out of Lyndhurst and turning right to go towards Bolderwood. The hill straight after the cattle grid there. I can get up that easily enough albeit in a very low gear :oops:

I go up that hill quiet often,just as you get to Emery Down.It's not as steep as Blissford Hill.But Blissford Hill is so short any half fit cyclist should be up before they know it,just like doing an 80metre sprint.
  • xloly
    xloly Posts: 140
    Athelston road is a real killer. I'm going to have to find this Blissford hill, it's only just off of one of our normal routes. From the google image, it doesn't look too bad?