140mm fork choice

Tolk
Tolk Posts: 775
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,

I'm trying to decide on some new forks for my HT build. I've narrowed it down to these or these. Has anyone used either? I'm swaying towards the fox forks, but I've read that some people find them flexy. I'm 12st, so don't think I'd find it too much of an issue?

Any advice would be great!

Tom

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I got some of the very same Revs a couple of weeks ago and they are pretty good.

The motion control seems to stop them diving on the brakes and yet they remain supple on small bumps. Bigger hits are handled very well - I can feel the front wheel tracking the terrain instead of pinging about. The remote poploc is very useful on climbs and fits perfectly on the LHS of the bars if you have an Avid/SRAM setup. The forks weigh 1.4kg with the steerer cut down to 200 mm.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    try and get magura thor's if you can... best 140mm forks money can buy IMHO
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Tolk
    .blitz wrote:
    I got some of the very same Revs a couple of weeks ago and they are pretty good.

The motion control seems to stop them diving on the brakes and yet they remain supple on small bumps. Bigger hits are handled very well - I can feel the front wheel tracking the terrain instead of pinging about. The remote poploc is very useful on climbs and fits perfectly on the LHS of the bars if you have an Avid/SRAM setup. The forks weigh 1.4kg with the steerer cut down to 200 mm.

Perfect! That's exactly what i needed to hear. Plus it counts as a stealth buy then, as I'm hoping the missus won't notice the difference between those and my rebas!
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    The only thing I would add is that I think the Revs from Merlin are OE forks. Mine were in a plain carton and there was no shock pump, fork leg stickers or warranty card.

But they did send me a FSA Orbit headset :)
  • Tolk
    I suspected they were. I've emailed wiggle to see if they'll price match Merlin. Fingers crossed!
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    CRC have the same forks without the pop loc for £340, but im pretty sure they will price match
  • lawman wrote:
    CRC have the same forks without the pop loc for £340, but im pretty sure they will price match

CRC are most likely OEM as well, most of their forks seem to be.

:)
  • Tolk
    Email sent to CRC, have to see if they get back to me.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    lawman wrote:

CRC are most likely OEM as well, most of their forks seem to be.

:)

nope, ive got them, they came in the rockshox box with the shock pump manual etc, bloody marvelous deal 8)
  • Tolk
    Wiggle say they won't price match. Their one says dual air on the end of the description, Merlin's doesn't. I can't see there's difference myself. I've shopped loads through wiggle, even if they've been a couple of quid dearer, that's gonna change.
  • I have the 2010 rev dual air and they're superb.

Track really well, super super plush, easy to tune to how you want them, great small bump feel and can take the hits too.

Plus they're light, look great and are miles better VFM than fox. Win-Win.
  • Tolk
    Rev's ordered. Exciting times!
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    I have the Rev's fitted for about 3 months now, verdict brilliant fork take hits well and track the ground superb, I'm 12 stone also and I found putting a bit more air into the positive valve makes them sit up a bit more and I find they handle better,120psi in the negative and 136psi in the positive.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Tolk
    Cheers man, will make a note of that!