BANG!!!!!!!!!!! Two inner tubes burst in quick sucession.

tigger123
tigger123 Posts: 60
edited April 2010 in Workshop
So today I had a puncture. I changed the inner tube only to hear it go bang about 5 minutes later. So I changed that one, only for it to go BANG whilst I was pumping it up. Did it frighten me? You bet it did. What are people pumping their tyres upto. I reckon the second one went bang at about 90psi. Do I just have a faulty batch or am I being a complete biff somehow? The inner tubes burst at different points before you ask.

Comments

• Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    If it's from the same batch I'd be suspicious. But chances are there was some glass or something still in the tyre. I now spend a good few minutes feeling the inside of the tyre and a good visual inspection of the outside before putting in a new inner tube.

Mind, since having Marathons on I haven't done it at all :wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,545
    for a road tyre 90psi is not high, i use 100-110, usually the pressure range is moulded/printed on the tyre sidewall

assuming your tyres are rated for the pressure...

to go BANG, the tube has to burst outside the tyre

sounds like the tyre wasn't seated on the bead, or that the tube was pinched between bead and rim

either way, as the pressure goes up the tube can force the tyre off the rim and go BANG
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    "Sungod" is right: the tubes exploded outside the tyre, so it's not their fault, nor a conventional puncture. Either the tube is caught under the tyre bead during fitting, or the rim isn't clinching the tyre well for some other reason. I'd bet on fitting error.
  • daveydave43
    daveydave43 Posts: 200
    have you checked that the rim tape it totally covering the spoke holes?
    the tube could be being forced into the spoke holes at higher pressures, which are sharp on the edges.
    Tends to help it go bang.

Have a look at the tubes - the puncture shape should tell you whats up.
    If the ube is being caught in the spoke holes, then the hole will probably look like a cross or plus sign
    if its because the tube is being caught between the tyre and rim on fitting, then it will look like a snakebite puncture.

hope this helps
    Go for the break
    Create a chaingang
    Make sure you don't break your chain
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    sungod wrote:
    sounds like the tyre wasn't seated on the bead, or that the tube was pinched between bead and rim

+1
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    were you smoking when you fitted the new tubes, you could have melted them with hot ash.
  • tigger123
    tigger123 Posts: 60
    Thanks for the responses. When I got home tonight I inspected the tyre a little closer and noticed it had a hole in it on the sidewall where it would sit in the wheel so I suspect that maybe the problem. Next question then the tyre is a 700 X 25c and I was looking at some Continental grand prix 4000s, but wiggle only sell them in the 23C size. Being new to this racing bike malarky what is the difference and would the 23C tyre fit on my wheels?

Thank you.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    yes it will fit. not a great amount of difference.2mm width.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,545
    tigger123 wrote:
    Thanks for the responses. When I got home tonight I inspected the tyre a little closer and noticed it had a hole in it on the sidewall where it would sit in the wheel so I suspect that maybe the problem. Next question then the tyre is a 700 X 25c and I was looking at some Continental grand prix 4000s, but wiggle only sell them in the 23C size. Being new to this racing bike malarky what is the difference and would the 23C tyre fit on my wheels?

Thank you.

wiggle is pretty expensive for these tyres, if you search on google you'll be able to get them for around 24-25 quid
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny