khs xc604 or gt id5 idrive xcr

averagebiker
averagebiker Posts: 62
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
If u had the choice of just these 2 bikes..which one and y....price is roulghly the same at the mo..with halfords doing a discount on the gt

TIA

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I've no experience of the KHS, though it does look great. My Idrive was very cool though. I felt it was more of a monster XC bike than your standard 5 inch full suss but that works very well for some stuff, perfectly suited to glentress frinstance, but it's not light and the Halfords build seems just a wee bit stingy (mine was built from a frame). Very nice. The Idrive pedalling chat sounds like hype or snake oil but it does exactly what it says on the tin.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Two fairly different bikes. The GT is certainly bred for the hard side of XC as above, but most likely weightier for it.

I think the Halfords price is very good though, it is a good frame - you can pay the same for a frame like this after market on its own.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    That's true. But it's hard not to compare it with their own Boardman FS which is usually the same price. Obviously the GT frame's more complicated and probably costs them more but it's still a fair comparison I reckon. It just seems like a lot of compromises to get it down to the price, which is probably inevitable but still. Mainly I think the fork's a wee bit wrong for it.
    Uncompromising extremist