Building my first Jump bike.

Ben Ormshaw
Ben Ormshaw Posts: 62
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
Over the last few weeks we have been building a sizable amount of berms,kickers and decent drop-offs in my local woods. I don't lack any enthusiam for trying them once they've bedded in, just i don't really fancy doing drop-offs on my Trek 6000.

So, I am seriously considering building up my own jump bike for basic freeride/dirt jumnp/ 4X style use.
I am new to this side of riding and would be greatful for any help on how to get started.
I'm looking to build the bike as simple as possible, just as long as it's nice and compact/agile for chucking about.

As I only have my pityful teenage budget, I was wondering on starting with a frame such as Jawbone - but from there on in i'm pretty clueless.

What i'd really apprecoiate is some buying advice; like do i go for 24'' or 26''?

Any advice on components/building a jump bike and hopefully saving money on the way...?

Thank you very much.
Ben

Comments

• albo
    albo Posts: 260
    For a general muck-around/jump bike I use a Giant STP...

MBUK did a group test involving STP, and like me, they thought it was awesome!

It depends on your budget really though mate, looking to buy full bike? Custom build? Or second hand?

albo.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    if you know what you're doing it can be done pretty cheaply.

My scott cost me about £250-£300, built up mostly from spares and bits scrounged on the cheap.