Boardman Comp vs GT Aggressor XCR vs Pinnacle Coldharbour 1.

bugmonkey
bugmonkey Posts: 27
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
Long term lurker, second time poster.

I had my Mongoose Amasa Super nicked at the weekend and my insurance company has offered to replace it with a Boardman Mountain Comp or another Halford's bike up to the same value (or more if I pay the difference). As well as the Boardman I've also been looking at the GT Aggressor XCR.

As well as trail riding I use(d) my bike for a short (2 miles each way) commute on road. The GT looks like a better spec'd bike, but I'm worried the 140mm forks are going to be a pain on the road. I also do the odd longer road/flat path routes as well.

I've been to my local Halfords to have a look, both seem fine, although they only had a 20" GT (I'd need an 18") so I couldn't get a good feel for the geometry.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the two bikes? The Boardman seems a little too XC orientated for my liking, but the GT too far in the other direction. I really liked my Mongoose as it seemed to cope well with everything. I guess I'm facing a similar choice to people on the Cycle to Work scheme.

Cheers

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The XCR is a similar sort of bike to the Amasa.

The Boardman is lighter, and for slightly tamer riding.

Be aware that an 18 may not suit either - is just one number out of many. Go on feel, not listed size.
  • bugmonkey
    Thanks for that, the Boardman definitely felt a bit more "spindly". I'll need to see if I can find somewhere else near by with other sizes of the XCR, if the fork travel was adjustable it'd make the choice easier I think.

A recommendation was to also checkout the Voodoo Bokor. The drive chain's better than the Boardman. I'm not sure how the Recon SL Air compares against the Recon Race Air.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Recon Race is the better fork, gets the more adjustable, and better performing Motion Control damper.
  • rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    I have the XC1, which is the model down from the XCR - its been a fairly good bike, my only criticisms being that the triple triangle design of the GT's make the back end really stiff and as a result the ride can feel pretty harsh at times and the bike is pretty heavy overall (in particular the forks). Also, getting any info regarding how to service the Marzocchi bombers that came on my bike is nigh on impossible

I think they are decent enough bikes if you are forced to go to halfords on the C2W scheme but otherwise I'd look elsewhere for a more upgradeable frame and better forks (eg Toras)
  • bugmonkey
    Cheers guys.

I've spoken to my insurance company again and they're also offering a Pinnacle Coldharbour 1.0 from Evans. Spec wise it looks ok (X7/X5/X5 and Tora 302 Air) but I don't really know anything about Pinnacle. Unfortunately getting to an Evans shop to try it out isn't possible so it'd be a bit of a stab in the dark.