Chain Wheel Side Bolt

Hondated
Hondated Posts: 136
edited April 2010 in Workshop
Having used the bike through all of the Winter I decided to overhaul it and met my first obstacle.When I used my allen key on the CW side bolt that connects to the bottom bracket it was locked up solid and as a consequence the bolt head rounded off.

I can remove the rubber sealing ring to get to the bolt head and the only option I seem to have is to get a small chisel and try and knock it round.

But just in case the is another option can I ask you to advice me on how you got out of this dilemma if you have faced the same problem.

The only other way out is to saw through the BB spindle.Is that possible or is it too hard to cut.

If you do have any ideas please let me know and I would be grateful.
hondated

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Try using an oversize Torx bit on the head of the bolt
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • You could try giving it a good soaking with some sort of penetrating fluid (WD40, 3in1, Duck Oil or similar), leave it for a while to soak in then using a dot punch and small hammer try and turn the bolt out by tapping it round in the undo direction with the dot punch. We do this quite alot on rounder bolts at work and it works most times but does completely knacker the bolt head. Failing that you might need to drill it out!
    The wheels on the bike go round and round....
  • Hondated
    Hondated Posts: 136
    Monty Dog and Square Wheels for replying so quickly. Since posting I went down to see a mate who is an retired mechanical engineer and having tried to drill it we then decided to use a chisel and club hammer and it did the trick.Yes the bolt was mullered but it did not matter as I had a replacement. Now I will periodically remove it and regrease.

Thanks again.
    hondated