Just bought new mtb - need tire advice!

DCbiker
DCbiker Posts: 29
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
I just bought a 2009 Scott Spark 60 xc racer bike! I love it so far. The seat is quite uncomfortable, so any advice on better padded seats for mtb-ing?

Also the tires on my bike is purely for mountain biking it is a Continental Mountain King tire- see link below:
http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/item/RX7-000-X22

Are there any good crossover tires that is designed for mostly mountain biking, BUT does fairly well on the pavement as well?

Thanks! :roll:
2010 Felt Z4
2009 Spark 60

Comments

• The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I`d try the saddle for a while to see if you get used to it.More padding doesn`t always mean more comfort and sometimes bums just need time to adapt.

Also make sure its set up right.Ideally it should be level,not tilted up or down and that your seat is set at the correct height.

I take it you are using cycling specific shorts too?

Saddles are very much down to personal preference so one person`s idea of comfortable maybe another`s idea of hell........

On tyres,again what works well on dirt or mud will not always be good on the street.
    You need to work out how much time you will spend riding on the road versus riding off road.

Something like a Kenda Small Block 8 which is designed for dry off road use,may well work for you and roll reasonably well on road,but don`t expect them to roll aswell as slicks.

Sometimes its best to buy a second pair of tyres, eg:slicks if you are going to be using the bike a lot onthe street.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Tyres, get a proper knobbly up front and get something like a maxxis holy roller on the back.

I use a Minion on the font off road and on road and it works fine.

The Holy roller only comes off when it is wet/muddy and gets replaced with a minion or a high roller
  • DCbiker
    DCbiker Posts: 29
    Something like a Kenda Small Block 8 which is designed for dry off road use,may well work for you and roll reasonably well on road,but don`t expect them to roll aswell as slicks.

Is this what you might be referring to?
    http://www.kendausa.com/bicycle/JohnTomac.html

Any other slick suggestions? Is it difficult to swap the tires?
    2010 Felt Z4
    2009 Spark 60
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Is this what you might be referring to?
    http://www.kendausa.com/bicycle/JohnTomac.html

YES

Any other slick suggestions? Is it difficult to swap the tires?

Maxxis ignitors should also do the job and they are on offer at £30 pair posted from On One....agree that a pair for trails and a pair for road would be best...it is easy to change over, make sure your get decent tyre levers such as Park Tools and get a Track Pump as with the right tools you should be able to change them in 10 mins....
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • I've got Mountain Kings on mine (or did - semi-slicks for the mo until I get the commuter up and running) and they're like glue. Great if you're going south on a 60o slope, but punishing at other times..