Slightly too big or small.

little wiser
little wiser Posts: 662
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi again im faced with a bit of a problem missus has been trying bikes like there is no tommorow and have narrowed it down to the merlin malt 1 anyway they have been very helpfull and tend to think she would fit either a 13inch or a 15 inch.
Nearly ordered the 13inch today as i feel if its a little bit smaller will build her confidence and she would have more standover, and if it was slightly to small can change it a bit with setback post, stem, bars etc.
What you think bigger or smaller?
Sorry i know this is covered time and again :oops:

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Toss a coin lol.

I would go a touch larger. This reduces the risk of toe overlap. they tend to come up small anyway.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Toss a coin lol.

I would go a touch larger. This reduces the risk of toe overlap. they tend to come up small anyway.

Tell you what didnt think finding a bike to fit would be so hard, didnt think about the toe overlap :shock: , and had thought they came up slightly big DOH.
  • Quirrel
    Quirrel Posts: 235
    my missus is 4'11" it was a battle to get the right bike for her.

Giant had one at 12.5" but she wasn't happy on it

Marin had one at 13" but it was 550 quid and we couldn't find one to sit on anywhere.

Trek had a Sky SL - which fitted her perfectly. She sat on it and knew that was the bike for her.

Next day spotted Winstanley's with the Marin in for 340, 200 quid off. Ah well, she loved her bike and I may as a treat, buy her some nearly new bike hut wheels that a friend is selling and some light weight tyres to finish it off for her, then again I might save the 100 quid and put it towards my ride instead.
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    better a bit big than small, a bike thats too small is crippling.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Malts tend to have quite short top tubes anyway.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo