Camp Veloce chainset replacement

evilollie
evilollie Posts: 148
edited May 2010 in Workshop
Hi

looking for a spot of advice, i have 2006 veloce groupset on my frame , i am looking to replace the chainset

is it possible to replace the chainset with the newer 2010 black torque chainset and bottom bracket , will it be compatible with the rest of my drive set up

or is it better to just source the older taper chainset

many thanks

Eo

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    The Ultratorque one would be fine
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • evilollie
    cheers for fast reply

i could cheaply get the exact same chainset, but thought an upgrade might be nice just wasnt sure of any issue that might arise. Taken it the chainline will be the exact same or will i need to adjust
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Should be fine, just remember you need the BB cups as the ultratorque is not square taper
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • evilollie
    cheers

think i will give the better chainset a whirl instead of the old taper one
  • do you need a chainset or just a chain ring? upgrade to a TA chain ring. lighter and harder wearing.

that said, the square taper veloce chainsets are pretty cheap these days.
    M_G
  • evilollie
    i have a look on ebay and a replacement was £20 odd quid.

however thought maybe i could gradually upgrade the quality of kit on my bit
  • evilollie
    question

if i changed the veloce chainset for a taper style chorus chainset, would i need to change the bottom bracket as well

or will the BB used with the veloce fit the chorus

ta

Eo
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,313
    I think you would need to change the BB, mainly because the axle length's required for the Veloce and Chorus chainsets are different (111 mm for Veloce, 102 mm for Chorus).
  • evilollie
    cheers
  • Erudin
    Erudin Posts: 136
    The Chorus Triple (2006 square taper) uses the same 111mm length as a Veloce double. Just changed the Veloce double to a Chorus Triple on my road bike, to make getting up the steep hills round here without straining my knees.

Was easy to do, as did not even have to change the bottom bracket or gear cables, just changed the chain-set and front and rear dérailleur. The rear Champ dérailleur I fitted is huge, think a medium would have been fine.

Before:

img01203594452.jpg

After:

img01943603087.jpg
  • evilollie
    not wrong about that rear derailleur
  • evilollie
    I have picked up a chorus chainset taper style,

what type of bottom bracket thread do i need for a Look 461 team carbon frame - English or Italian ?

ta

Eo
  • evilollie
    its a 68mm english i need for my frame ?
  • evilollie
    Bump , anyone advise
  • Erudin
    Erudin Posts: 136
    What year is it? From what I can find using Google they use english 68mm bottom brackets. Best getting a bike shop to advise and fit one if you are unsure.

http://web.archive.org/web/20030215205829/www.lookcycle.com/english/catalogue/2003/cadres_std.htm

KG 461

Technical Specs
    Frame and fork weight 1,900 kg
    Size 49 to 61, each 2cm
    Carbone type Carbon HR
    Fork LDS4
    Braket BSA, length 68mm
    Diam. Head set 1"1/8°
    Seat tube adjustment 27,2 mm
    Bottle cage support 2
    Cable guide Internal
    Colors Shiny red / Shiny white / Black mat / Blue steel mat.

Features and Benefits

Oversized tubes and lugs :
    Without an extra weight due to the oversized tubing the 461 is stiffer.

Wishbone: new technology :
    This wishbone has been designed to gain a stiffer rear base wich is a good way to transmit the energy . This is why the whisbone is bended on the top and thicker at the top as well.

New sloping geometry + traditionnal :
    The new geometry of the KG 461 offers a sloping geometry on the 4 smallest sizes. Over size 55 they are not any more sloping.

Responsiveness and comfort :
    By using carbon fiber tubes, the 461 is a very responsive frame without compromise on comfort. The comfort gives the opportunity to perform on long stages.

LDS 4 Fork :
    New carbon fork, aluminium crown, carbon steerer: improvement of the lateral stifness. Carbon steerer 1 inch 1/8° : better responsiveness in piloting. More precise in any circumstancies.

http://www.cyclingnz.com/cnz5_reviews.php?n=174

http://www.bikyle.com/LookFrames.asp

"2004 KG 461

New HSC 4 carbon fork drops the weight another 100 grams!

High-tech replacement for the venerable KG 361 frame that has been in use around the world for more than a decade. Oversized High Resistance Carbon tubes with the same SLT Pro lugset as the team issue 381i! New seamless construction for even better looks. 3.1 lbs! Frameset includes frame, HSC 4 full carbon fork, and integrated headset. Required seatpost is 27.2, bottom bracket is English thread, front derailleur size is 1 1/4", 32mm, requires 1 1/8" threadless stem. Color is Jalabert red/black, blue/white fade, or gloss black. "

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/PriceDrop/12/-_-/5360011417/
  • evilollie
    That's that appreciated you found what I didn't :)

Found It has an English thread . So can get right bb now

Many thank

Eo