Schwalbe marathon tyres

katkins0511
katkins0511 Posts: 11
edited April 2010 in Workshop
I have recently put a pair of 26" x 1.5" Schwalbe marathon tyres on my mtb replacing my old "tractor tyres" in a bid to improve road performance.
When I installed the tyres I inflated the front tyre to 80psi but when I pumped up the rear the valve seal ruptured at about 75psi on my new kenda inner tube. I fitted another at 80psi and it is holding but I am unsure at what pressure I should inflate to. The tyre itself has 100psi on it but I am not sure what an average inner tube can take. Also having ridden the bike the ride feels extremely bumpy but this could be because I am used to my low pressure dirt tyres.
The bike in question is Carrera Vulcan.
At what pressure should i be riding and should I vary this according to temperatures at different times of the year?

Also to compensate for the loss of height I have raised the saddle and installed a heads up 4 riser for the bars. This has worked well but left me with a shiny 2" tube sitting above my bars. Does anyone know of a better product?
Katkins0511

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    I wouldn't put any more than 60psi in a 1.5 mtb slick...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Only pump them up till the ride's comfortable and you're not getting pinch flats. Going to 80psi with that size of tyre will mean they are rock hard and rattle your fillings.

No idea about riser bars
  • soveda
    soveda Posts: 306
    Also to compensate for the loss of height I have raised the saddle and installed a heads up 4 riser for the bars. This has worked well but left me with a shiny 2" tube sitting above my bars. Does anyone know of a better product?
    Katkins0511

Why did you raise the saddle? The loss of height from the ground will not have changed the distance between your pedal and saddle, same question for the riser on the bars. If you put the riser in because you wanted to raise the bars anyway with your old tyres then I can see the point but not changing the entire fit of the bike because of different profile tyres!
  • boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    I use the Schwalbe Marathon Racers for commuting, as much lighter than the standard ones. 50 or 60 psi is most comfy and hard enough to avoid pinch flats; any harder and you do feel every bump. Also perplexed at why you've raised the saddle and fitted risers, as the geometry of the bike is in no way affected by the smaller tyres. :?
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • I see your point.
    New ride felt low and I wanted to get back to original ride height and having raised my point of contact ( ie my hands ) it seemed logical to raise my seated position.
    I have to say new ride position feels comfy but I haven't been for a long ride yet.
    Will drop the pressure down and see how I go.