Pain in left knee

bingobang
bingobang Posts: 16
edited April 2010 in Road beginners
New to cycling and after about 15 miles I start to get a pain in my left knee just above my kneecap on the inside.

Just wondering what I could look at to solve this - seat position, cleat position? Maybe its technique (I find myself just pushing with my left and right i.e. putting my weight on the left foot then right) - any tips on how to use the cleats and pedals properly?

Many Thanks

Comments

• macondo01
    macondo01 Posts: 706
    Incorrect cleat position will hurt your knees

Try this http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/sweet-cleats-24284
    "Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

National Lampoon
  • Mithras
    Mithras Posts: 428
    bingobang wrote:
    New to cycling and after about 15 miles I start to get a pain in my left knee just above my kneecap on the inside.

Just wondering what I could look at to solve this - seat position, cleat position? Maybe its technique (I find myself just pushing with my left and right i.e. putting my weight on the left foot then right) - any tips on how to use the cleats and pedals properly?

Many Thanks

OUCH

Same symptoms I had.
    Unfortunately the same symptoms could be caused by many different things. I tried all sorts from rest to stretching, raising the seat hight slightly and physio.
    I noticed that the pain went away when I was spinning at high revs (no pressure whilst pushing) and when I was out of the saddle. I incorporated Plenty of Hamstring / glute / quad and adductor stretches pre and post ride. Also raised my saddle by 2cms (caused pain in the Hamstrings so dropped it a 1 cm). Took 10 weeks from the injury being noticed to being able to ride pain free.

Pedal big circles so you pull up as well as push down. relax your ankles!
    I can afford to talk softly!....................I carry a big stick!
  • evilollie
    evilollie Posts: 148
    i am going to change over to speedplay pedals as i have read they allow a natural float.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,854
    in order, i'd look at...

pedaling style - spin, don't grind - from what you say this sounds most likely

saddle height and position, there's a fairly narrow window of 'right'

correct cleat position, fore-aft, in-out, degree of float, if you are pointing your toes too far in/out then that can cause knee pain, also having the cleats too far out from the crank

feet/shoes - for running i have footbeds to correct pronation, after developing knee pain on the bike it looks i may also need shims and/or more arch support

currently getting the right amount figured out, but had my first try today with shims and no pain, so i'm hoping that'll be the solution
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,854
    evilollie wrote:
    i am going to change over to speedplay pedals as i have read they allow a natural float.

speedplay zero cleats allows you to adjust in/out float independently, from lots, to none at all

but whether your feet will naturally adopt the best position with lots of float depends on your own pedaling style, for some people too much float can be bad

the advantage with the speedplay zero is that you can set in/out float range to keep your feet where they should be
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny