slipping rear mech on hills

nikgibson_1
nikgibson_1 Posts: 106
edited April 2010 in Road beginners
I went out for a ride on Sunday morning (fortunalty just missing the rain) and everything was going well until i hit my first hill.
I dropped down to the low gear at the front in preperation and then stod up on the pedels and went for it but as i done so the rear mech started jumping/slipping gears which is quite worrying as i was already going pretty slow at the time and clipped in, and on a fairly busy main road.

What do you think the cause of this is and how can i rectify it?

Nik
Dont say \'Can\'t\', just add \'ry\'

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Check your chain and cassette for wear and the cable adjustment of your rear mech.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • mongi
    mongi Posts: 4
    Have experienced same issues after replacing chain. Changed rear cassette, this cured the problem at the back then the chain started jumping middle front ring. In the end I changed everything, now sorted, my old transmission lasted year and a half through 2 winters at Hadleigh Downs, not to bad.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    mongi wrote:
    Have experienced same issues after replacing chain. Changed rear cassette, this cured the problem at the back then the chain started jumping middle front ring. In the end I changed everything, now sorted, my old transmission lasted year and a half through 2 winters at Hadleigh Downs, not to bad.

If you'd changed your chain earlier you probably would still be on the original cassette and chainring :wink:
    More problems but still living....
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    How well adjusted is the mech.?

Next thing to check would be chain wear - you may have to invest in a new chain and cassette, but check the adjustment/cable tension on the rear mech first.
  • nikgibson_1
    Thanks for the replies guys, I'm hoping that it's just adjustment rather than a new chain and mechs as I've only had the bike since the end of august and probable riden no more than 200miles :(

:oops: so how do I adjust them

Nik
    Dont say \'Can\'t\', just add \'ry\'
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060

:oops: so how do I adjust them

Nik

http://bicycletutor.com/adjust-rear-derailleur/
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • nikgibson_1