What XC tyre for the hopefully dry summer?

2»

Comments

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    adydow wrote:
    cee wrote:
    whatever you do, avoid the conti mountain kings.

Can't agree with that I have conti's Mountain King protection and the best and most grippy tyre I have ridden in most conditions.

fair doos....

I have never felt like i have a comfortable level of grip with them in any conditions, except on the very smoothest of trails, in dry conditions.

As soon as it gets loose, wet, muddy, rooty, or rocky....then they just plain suck.

not sure if the protection versions are different....but I will be throwing a standard pair out. if someone wants them, and are willing to pay postage, let me know.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    supersonic wrote:
    For dry, racy XC stuff, and I didn't care about wear or punctures, the Race King Supersonic.
    On the puncture point - I fitted a Race King Supersonic 2.2 (set to 29PSI) to the rear of my Enduro SL for a trip to Wales a couple of weeks ago and it was flawless. Hammering through rock sections at Coed y Brenin, Penmachno, Marin and Cli-machx and not once did it puncture or twang off a rock.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,769
    My Racing Ralphs have done very nicely as a XC summer tyre - very fast and have not had one puncture or rip on me yet.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    the razer mx is 2.3" I literally just put it on as a tubeless rear tyre for what can only be described as teh lolz after the predicted rain arrives.

But im longing for the speed...
  • Racing Ralphs without doubt unless your feeling brave and its really dry.. then get Fred out.. the furious variety!
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Good old High Roller XC 2.1's. Nice and fast with surprisingly good grip.
  • Maxxis Ignitor 2.1s, but High Rollers are pretty good too...
    Old hockey players never die - they just smell that way...
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Just about to sling a Racing Ralph on the FS.

Fitted the Ignitors to the HT last week too, they'll only come off when it's really muddy. went of the 2.35" option instead of the 2.1"'s