Which elbow pads (for XC)?

Miggins
Miggins Posts: 433
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
After taking the advice of many on this forum about knee pads, I got the 661 Kyle Straits and they're great. Thanks all! 2thumbs.gif

At the same time I ordered the 661 Veggie elbow pads but wasn't impressed so returned them. One of the main issues was the fact that there is no articulation in them. If 661 had Kyle Strait elbow pads I'm sure they'd be great. But they don't. There don't seem to be elbow pads which get such an enthusiastic following as the 661 Kyle Strait knee pads. I don't want to spend fortunes on elbow pads; the knee pads were just under £35 and for my XC riding are fine. So any recommendations?
After uphill there's downhill

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I had Chicken Wings but they're the same as the Veggies, they try to make them small so they end up far too stiff and enclosed. I think you hit the nail on the head though, if 661 could make an elbow pad as good as the kyle strait knees, it'd be a kyle strait elbow... But they can't, so they don't waste the name on something less good.

I love my POC Bones, but they're over your budget. They look a bit OTT but because of the clever articulation and larger size they're miles more comfortable than any small pad I've ever tried, they have just 2 light elastic straps and a spandex "sock" so they don't overheat you like most do, yet they stay in place better than most as well. Ace, basically. But you do look like a stormtrooper.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I find my 661 Race forearm/elbow gaurds great. Really comfy and don't over heat and are only 30 quid.

I use mine with Kyle Straits and they are the best set of pads to be had for 55 quid all in :D
  • Fastflo
    Fastflo Posts: 45
    i've got the 661 Kyle straits, or however you spell them, love them
    I also bought the 661 d3o elbow pads, superb never know you had them on, except I was chuming my buddy down the pie run at Glentress on his return from a broken arm, wasn't going fast so attention drifted, hit a tree!!! ouch!

had a bruise that started at my forearm then stopped for the length of the d3o pad then continued on my upper arm, so comfy I can put them on in the house with my gear before I drive the 20 miles to GT!! pricy though, but how much is a new elbow??
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Fastflo wrote:
    pricy though, but how much is a new elbow??

Depends if you go private or not :wink::lol:
  • Miggins
    Thanks all. I'll check out your recommendations. :wink:
  • Miggins
    Reckon I'll go for the 661 Evo (d3o) pads. Found 'em on eBay for 42 whole British pounds, free P&P. Can't be bad.