Come home Vino, all is forgiven...

Comments

• secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 1,759
    iainf72 wrote:
    Looks at say, Basso and Ricco or Rasmussen. Why did Ivan get a decent gig and the other 2 not. Too high a risk? Their attitudes? Or did they not even give a sense they'd "changed"?

I would say that Ivan is the darling of Italy, the same way Sasha is a national treasure in Kazakhstan.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    iainf72 wrote:
    Then Vino is lucky, as is Millar, who just got inside the deadline and Basso, who was only thinking about it.
    Different circumstances, but all 3 are fortunate.

2 of them did things to demonstrate they'd changed. And they're both fairly likeable characters. The other kept mucking around all through his suspension.

They're all different cases

Looks at say, Basso and Ricco or Rasmussen. Why did Ivan get a decent gig and the other 2 not. Too high a risk? Their attitudes? Or did they not even give a sense they'd "changed"?

They are bound to be under extra scrutiny after a doping thing. Add that to the fact that "some people just don't know how to act right", to quote an old saying.
  • secretsqirrel
    http://cyclocosm.com/2010/04/how-the-race-was-won-liege-bastogne-liege-2010/

Cyclocosm on what he feels the press should be reporting.

Thanks for the link Rick. You posted as I was having my rant.
    I feel less like a lone voice in the wilderness :D
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,731
    http://cyclocosm.com/2010/04/how-the-race-was-won-liege-bastogne-liege-2010/

Cyclocosm on what he feels the press should be reporting.

Thanks for the link Rick. You posted as I was having my rant.
    I feel less like a lone voice in the wilderness :D

It's a very good blog.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    But iain, surely what you're vilifying Vino for - carrying on as he did before - is exactly what made him so popular i.e. his do or die attacking style? Personally I'd like to have seen Kolobnev get something but then Katusha are just a bit dodgy aren't they?

For once I agree with dennis - served his time, end of. Vino is an aggressive rider - what's he supposed to do, ride meekly at the back of the peloton beating his breast chanting 'me culpa'?
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Simple solution:
    Get all the worms out of the woodwork by allowing an amnesty, then all riders have to publicise their bio passport, offer DNA, regular testing obviously etc, then anyone caught doping in future, banned for life end of story !!
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    iainf72 wrote:
    Then Vino is lucky, as is Millar, who just got inside the deadline and Basso, who was only thinking about it.
    Different circumstances, but all 3 are fortunate.

2 of them did things to demonstrate they'd changed. And they're both fairly likeable characters. The other kept mucking around all through his suspension.

They're all different cases

Iain -- how would you assess the retired Bernhard Kohl, Sella, and Sinkwitz? Are they "good" bad guys or "bad" bad guys?

I think Millar, Basso, Vino, and the rest should never be able to ride again on the Pro Tour level; they should do two year ban and then earn whatever money they can on the Professional Continental level (or lower). It is the UCI who should set terms, not an agreement amongst Pro Tour teams.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Bakunin wrote:

Iain -- how would you assess the retired Bernhard Kohl, Sella, and Sinkwitz? Are they "good" bad guys or "bad" bad guys?

Kohl is ok - I reckon he knows that sans dopage he could never perform at the top level so just left. Sella provided some useful information and now rides like a leaking sack of poop, so he's "changed" They're both self serving though :wink:

Stinky - Dunno. I think it was Millar who said he had a pretty serious reputation as a serial doper for years which is why no one wants to touch him.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Av it
    Av it Posts: 105
    well if its any consolation, Vino has been banned from the forum.

Ave sense of humour failure Calves
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    iainf72 wrote:
    Bakunin wrote:

Kohl is ok - I reckon he knows that sans dopage he could never perform at the top level so just left. Sella provided some useful information and now rides like a leaking sack of poop, so he's "changed" They're both self serving though :wink:

Stinky - Dunno. I think it was Millar who said he had a pretty serious reputation as a serial doper for years which is why no one wants to touch him.

so did Ricco though he was a known doper as a kid and boasted about it then and with the stories about his ex gf I can't see that changing it is ingrained into his way of thinking.

The UCI did have a rule that once you got a 2 year ban it was then 2 years at Continental level but so far that only seems to have happened with Heras not sure why he was hung out to dry when others have returned
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    micron wrote:
    But iain, surely what you're vilifying Vino for - carrying on as he did before - is exactly what made him so popular i.e. his do or die attacking style? Personally I'd like to have seen Kolobnev get something but then Katusha are just a bit dodgy aren't they?
    For once I agree with dennis - served his time, end of. Vino is an aggressive rider - what's he supposed to do, ride meekly at the back of the peloton beating his breast chanting 'me culpa'?

What makes Katusha dodgy? Other than being Russian of course.

You watch to many James Bond re-runs
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    Timoid. wrote:
    micron wrote:

Well Kolobnev is dodgy, that's for sure.
    http://www.elpais.com/articulo/deportes ... idep_8/Tes
    Valverde named in his second "operation". (see other thread)

The whole LBL podium are "suspicious", yet Vino gets singled out for the treatment.
    (I haven't heard Piti saying sorry recently, either!)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Timoid. wrote:
    micron wrote:

Pfannberger and Colom?
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Pfannenburger and Colom can count against a lot of other teams. Do you think Colom was clean at IB or Astana? or was Pfannberger clean at Corti's Barloworld?

Katusha is no worse than most pro teams. There is wierd perception that cos they're Russian, they're bad.

By your logic BMC are dodgier than Lampre.

Only FdJ, BT, Cofiis (probably) and Garmin can hold their heads up. The rest are all the same. Except for Lampre and Footon who are worse.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Timoid. wrote:
    Pfannenburger and Colom can count against a lot of other teams. Do you think Colom was clean at IB or Astana? or was Pfannberger clean at Corti's Barloworld?

Katusha is no worse than most pro teams. There is wierd perception that cos they're Russian, they're bad.

By your logic BMC are dodgier than Lampre.

Only FdJ, BT, Cofiis (probably) and Garmin can hold their heads up. The rest are all the same. Except for Lampre and Footon who are worse.

It doesn't matter when Colom and Pfannberger started doping - the fact is they were both doing it while they employed by Katusha, which must say something about the way Katusha operates.

Talking of weird perceptions though, are BMC not automatically lumped in with the "good" teams because they're a) Anglophone and b) owned by Andy Rihs, who most people agree is A Nice Chap. They may not be as bad as Lampre or Footon yet, but at what point do we start asking the question?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Robbie's take on it:
    i have to say, I agree with Vino http://bit.ly/9BUH6j he cheated, served his ban, came back remorseful + humble. congratulate him for L-B-L
    Contador is the Greatest
  • secretsqirrel
    Bradley's take on it............
    "After Liege there was this thing with Vinokourov. But the guy has made a return to bike racing and he's allowed to race under the rules of cycling. As long as that's the case and he's in the team which complies with the blood passport, we have to get off his back and give him the chance to race. There's a lot of hypocrites in this sport. It's quite sad the sport sometimes gets dragged down by bringing up the past. You have to assume everyone is clean until they test positive."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggins-savours-pink-jersey-moment
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Is that's Brad's way of saying "unless you fail a test you're not doping?"
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • secretsqirrel
    iainf72 wrote:

I think that is the new mantra, either that or our Brad is really mellowing with age.

What about this bit?......
    "We believe in what we do and stick with it 100 per cent, but we don’t go out there and accuse everyone else because they don't follow our philosophy. We do what we do and we don't care what anyone else does. We not one for walking round preaching about not taking drugs. We're not fighting to be 100 per cent clean. It's just the way we do it and the way I prefer to compete."

:shock: What have they doing to him at sky. That's one chimp that has been well and truely exorcised.
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    iainf72 wrote:

I think that is the new mantra, either that or our Brad is really mellowing with age.

"We believe in what we do and stick with it 100 per cent, but we don’t go out there and accuse everyone else because they don't follow our philosophy. We do what we do and we don't care what anyone else does. We not one for walking round preaching about not taking drugs. We're not fighting to be 100 per cent clean. It's just the way we do it and the way I prefer to compete."

:shock: What have they doing to him at sky. That's one chimp that has been well and truely exorcised.
    I read that interview with my eyes rolling. I hope that what he means is that we're not fighting for the whole peleton to be clean/we're marketing ourselves differently from Garmin & Team HTC, which would make sense and be congruent with all the pre-launch hype & Brad's continued goes at those testing positive & that he just got his words wrong in interview situation, however, how it reads will be rolled out time after time after time if he does well in either the Giro or the Tour. Quite surprising to read the whole interview given Brad's history!
  • Richrd2205
    iainf72 wrote:
    It could be the PR dept telling him not to upset any more teams in the peleton since they've started to realise that they may need some favours at some point.
    I'm very unclear if the interview is badly executed spin or a sea change in opinion. It really doesn't read well either way...
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    noone told Brad's wife the new line on Vino...
    right,now you can f**g rain,just on Vino tho
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Timoid. wrote:
    micron wrote:

Tell you what, there's a Katusha on its way around your house whilst you mull that question over.

Some forms of stupidity are way beyond even doping.

Strava is not Zen.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Richrd2205 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

I read that interview with my eyes rolling. I hope that what he means is that we're not fighting for the whole peloton to be clean/we're marketing ourselves differently from Garmin & Team HTC, which would make sense and be congruent with all the pre-launch hype & Brad's continued goes at those testing positive & that he just got his words wrong in interview situation, however, how it reads will be rolled out time after time after time if he does well in either the Giro or the Tour. Quite surprising to read the whole interview given Brad's history!

I would presume he means that they are not marketing themselves as an anti-doping team, the way Garmin Slipstream were perceived to be when they started (note that Vaughters also said a few years ago that he hoped that cycling got to the point where they - Garmin - weren't identified as being solely an anti-doping team, but just another team, which had a wacky kit, some cool equipment and tried some crazy tactics from time to time).

Anyone who questions BC's commitment to clean sport may also question why it took them so long to get into road racing...

This policy certainly didn't stop Wiggo tweeting a comedy pic about Pelizotti recently...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Given the circumstances, what should Brad have said? He can't call for a retrospective change in the rules regarding the length of his ban, can he?
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    edited May 2010
    Spoken like a real champion, Wiggins :wink: Wonder what Tyler Phinney has to say?
  • Richrd2205
    DaveyL wrote:

I would presume he means that they are not marketing themselves as an anti-doping team, the way Garmin Slipstream were perceived to be when they started (note that Vaughters also said a few years ago that he hoped that cycling got to the point where they - Garmin - weren't identified as being solely an anti-doping team, but just another team, which had a wacky kit, some cool equipment and tried some crazy tactics from time to time).

Anyone who questions BC's commitment to clean sport may also question why it took them so long to get into road racing...

This policy certainly didn't stop Wiggo tweeting a comedy pic about Pelizotti recently...

OK, that's a better thought out post than mine. & prob better argued.
    Still, Wiggo might have picked words better. I have hideous visions of that quote coming up again & again if he does well in July as "proof" of something...
  • secretsqirrel
    If it is this difficult for us to interpret what Wiggins is trying to say, Vinokourov doesn't have a hope :roll:
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    iainf72 wrote:

I think it's saying that everyone should be presumed innocent until proven guilty. Which is fair enough, even for an ex(hopefully)-doper.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    iainf72 wrote:

No. That's YOUR way of saying it.
    Suppose you're a pro rider and you pass all the testing. You're guilty??? Right??? Isn't that what you're saying?