SLX OR XT?

averagebiker
averagebiker Posts: 62
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
Is ther much difference performance wise from the XT stuff compared to the SLX?
TIA

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    on some bits.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • K..it sthe groupset..and 150 to upgrade to XT on a rock lobster..so i am trying to decide whther performance wise its worth doing at this stage as i am trying to stick to a budget
  • Honestly mate i wouldn't bother tbh would keep the 150 sheets and use it for a trip to wales to test the bike out!
  • Lol...ta
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I`d spend the money saved on a better pair of forks.Or buy some spare brae pads,chain,etc.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • T1berious
    T1berious Posts: 438
    I've put a mixture of SLX \ XT (SLX Crank set, Front Mech, Rear mech all SLX and just XT Shifters) on my partners bike as bits have had to be replaced and to be honest SLX is awesome for the money. unless you're a weight obsessed XC racer, I'd stick with SLX and spend the money saved on other bits you'll want if you haven't got them already. Camelbak, decent tools, helmet, pads etc.

Or a very nice trip to Coed Y Brenin :)
  • turpinr
    turpinr Posts: 255
    K..it sthe groupset..and 150 to upgrade to XT on a rock lobster..so i am trying to decide whther performance wise its worth doing at this stage as i am trying to stick to a budget
    i've replaced the XT stuff on my rock lobster with SLX as it wears out.the crank will be last thing to go and the SLX looks better anyway
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Yep save the cash and upgrade the fork from recon to reba
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • turpinr
    Pudseyp wrote:
    Yep save the cash and upgrade the fork from recon to reba
    that'd be a better idea than going for XT
  • dogboy73
    dogboy73 Posts: 440
    Just bought some SLX bits for my rebuild (after deciding on Shimano over SRAM). I had a similar dilemma between Deore & SLX. I went for SLX because it was only a few quid more for each part than the Deore stuff. But part of me was thinking if it was worth while. I've often had Deore stuff on my bikes & it's been perfectly fine. I'm not even sure what the difference is between the different ranges. Presumably materials & weight only play a big part when comparing XTR to the more affordable end of the range?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yep, weight and quality of manufacture are the main things.
  • turpinr
    dogboy73 wrote:
    Just bought some SLX bits for my rebuild (after deciding on Shimano over SRAM). I had a similar dilemma between Deore & SLX. I went for SLX because it was only a few quid more for each part than the Deore stuff. But part of me was thinking if it was worth while. I've often had Deore stuff on my bikes & it's been perfectly fine. I'm not even sure what the difference is between the different ranges. Presumably materials & weight only play a big part when comparing XTR to the more affordable end of the range?
    i can't fault any of the dore stuff i've used either
  • Pud...ive already decided to upgrade the forks..it takes me to the 1k budget i set myself...but had wondered whther to go the XT route like u wer thinking........although i am going the 853 route unlike the one u wer going/are .

Thnx for the advice uve made my mind up...stik to LSX
  • Pud...ive already decided to upgrade the forks..it takes me to the 1k budget i set myself...but had wondered whther to go the XT route like u wer thinking........although i am going the 853 route unlike the one u wer going/are .

Thnx for the advice uve made my mind up...stik to LSX
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    On some items its worth it.

I upgraded from SLX to XT shifters on saturday. Completely stripped and rebuilt the gearing and it's made such a difference.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    cgarossi wrote:
    On some items its worth it.

I upgraded from SLX to XT shifters on saturday. Completely stripped and rebuilt the gearing and it's made such a difference.
    The big difference will be having cables clean / in smooth working order, and having the indexing fine tuned; the XT v SLX issue would make very little difference, if you could notice it at all. I have nothing against XT (I am running XTR shifters and XT mechs) but It's certainly not a value for money upgrade in my opinion, SLX is superb for the money.
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    Well, I had already replaced the cables previously and had a hard job tuning them up. I changed the shifters and they made a big difference. For me anyway. SLX shifters are good but the shift action feels plasticy. I actually prefered the Deore shifters on my Scott. I think its the metal lever and ball bearing instead of sleeve bearing shifting that makes the difference.

It varies from bike to bike though, I can only go on what I've experienced so far.