Waterproofs for lightweight end to end trip

Notifitsraining
Notifitsraining Posts: 72
edited April 2010 in Tour & expedition
I'm cycling a self supported end to end trip over the first two weeks in May. I will be travelling as light as possible and the only thing I haven't sorted yet are waterproofs. Truth is I've never bought a waterproof cycle jacket that has actually been waterproof. The last one - an Altura Reflex - is a nice windstopper but has always been transparent to rain from day 1, regardless of attempts to proof.

Some friends have suggested not taking waterproof leggings, but I suspect May rain can get pretty cold and relentless so think that might be foolhardy.

I will be riding a relaxed-ish racing bike so poncho style rain covers probably wouldn't work. Any ideas or suggestions from experience would be gratefully received.

Comments

• onthefells
    onthefells Posts: 157
    did this last year...albeit supported. we got pissed on 3 or 4 days including one particularly nasty day crossing the scottish border. I remember being in a service station trying to dry out under the hand dryers in the toilets!!

anyway 2 things, firstly, when it really pisses it down like that I don't think anything keeps you dry. I've since bought a Rapha rainjacket which is incredibly light, incredibly expensive and very waterproof, whether it stays dry thru 6 hrs of downpour is anyones guess.

the main thing is making sure you don't get cold and making sure you're staying somewhere at night where you've a chance of drying things out...especially your shoes as I imagine you'll only take one pair? if so think about getting some very good overshoes, cold, soaking feet will be no fun. also think about getting a pair of really good waterproof gloves, wet hands will almost certaily result in cold hands if you're ont he bike 8 hrs plus a day.

I wore overtrousers a couple of times but as we had a van I could put em on and take em off as I pleased. If you are carrying everything yourself I'd get a really good pair of water repellant bib longs are alternatively just accept wet legs and get onw ith it.

best of luck
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I've been pretty impressed with eVent for lightness, breathability and dryness - though I've only tested it an hour at a time. The other option is to assume you're going to get wet, in which case Merino wool has been good for me at keeping me warm when it's wet itself - it also seems to dry relatively easily too.

If you're heading past Inverness and want any local route guidance, feel free to ask. Only the other day I guided a small group around a large hill for which I think they were grateful. Mind you, for the next couple of days we had heavy snow & 35mph winds so I don't give a lot for their chances of getting much past Inverness during that lot.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Montane Atomic DT2 pants have worked well for me all winter.
    The jacket looks good but the hood is a roll-away one, not sure if this is out of the way-enough for cycling.
    I like hoods on my touring jacket for non-cycling use.
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    If you're heading past Inverness and want any local route guidance, feel free to ask.

Don't suppose you could have a quick look over a couple of my days and offer any hints / tips could you? I think I've got a reasonable route, but no doubt it can be improved somewhere!

I've actually changed it a bit since this list, just haven't finalised the route. Basically I'm now stopping at Loch Ness on Day Ten and starting from there on Day Eleven to make two days of 100miles rather than a 115 and a 90ish! The route's more or less the same, just going the other side of Loch Ness as the hostel's that side!

Day Ten; 115 miles - Ascent; 4,636ft, Descent; 5,095ft
    Crainlairch > Achallader > Glencoe > Fort William > Fort Augustus > Inverness

Day Eleven; 87 miles - Ascent; 3,671ft, Descent; 3,662ft
    Inverness > Ardulie > Bonar Bridge > Rhian > Loch Loyal > Tongue

Thank you!
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)