Suggestions for suitable bike.

zordon
zordon Posts: 11
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi all.

For sometime I have been thinking of getting a decent bike. Mainly this will be used commuting to work. With rides into the countryside at weekend with my girlfriend.

I would love to go off road with it, but my girlfriend will only agree to cycle path areas.
Budget wise i’m looking to spend £500-£800.

Currently I’m looking at the Boardman Pro (£799) and Team (£649) urban bikes, but i may have a drive over to Milton Keynes and have and pop into Evans Cycles tomorrow.

I’m interested for any suggestions on what to get / not get.

Also does anyone know when Halfords are due to run a discount next, as that could come in handy if I want to go for the Boardman.

Thanks

Mark

Comments

• Scotxr
    Scotxr Posts: 172
    Mention Boardman and you'll get tons of replies!!! Very highly regarded on here.
    Santa Cruz Blur XC
    Nicolai Helius FR
    Planet X Carbon RED
  • zordon
    Thanks Scott I have been seeing alot of good things about them.

There is still part of me that would like some light off road use with it. So i'm looking at some of the others in the range.

The main thing is that I want to be able to get too / from work (about 6 miles away) mostly flat. Which is why i was thinking of an Hybrid bike. Is there a big differrence on roads / tarmac between a standard MTB and a Hybrid?

Thanks
  • Erm...where u c the Boardman pro for 800 quid?..i make it 999 quid
  • zordon
    Sorry the one i was on about is the Boardman pro Hybrid . However i am considering the Boardman pro HT, that is 999.

A 20% discount would be handy just now. I'm hoping that Halfords have some sort of may day sale. If not a week later my girlfriend gets a 7% deal through her work.
  • zordon
    I'm very keen on getting the Boardman pro HT, as this meens I can take it on trails but £1000 is a bit over budget for me.

Dos anyone have any recomendations on Bikes Evans Cycles have, as I'm poping over there today for a look.

Thanks
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    I have a Kona Caldera from last year (bought at Evans MK).
    They will price match - if you take in a print out (and phone number) of a website with a cheaper price they will phone and check its genuine and match it.

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/11095/Kon ... -2009.html

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b7s2p1938

I got them to do a pretty good deal on a helmet and pedals as well when I got mine.
    Am very pleased with the bike - its light and much more responsive than my old Spesh Hardrock that I started out on.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • zordon
    Thanks for the suggestion. According to their site they will refund if I find a cheaper price for 7 days after my purchace.

Thants quite a good deal on the Kona I will have a look while there.
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    I havent tried to get a refund after purchase. Just easier to do it while you are buying the bike.

Rutland actually have the Kona even cheaper if you buy one of their ex-demo models. Head over to Grafham / Rutland water. They will let you test ride (as will Evans - I had to pay 1p on my credit card!)
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • zordon
    I have finally settled on having a hybrid. Got enough to do this year with some walking challenges so I may have a look at HT bike next year.

I had a look at Evans but nothing quite matched up to the Boardman Pro hybrid, so I have reserved one at Halfords. Just have to wait until the 7th for my girlfriend to get her discount.

You never know they may even have a May day sale.

Next problem is my girlfriends bike. Again we are looking for a Hybrid bike. She saw a couple of pinnacle bikes she liked but due to a hangover she did not want to try any out.

We will go back on the bank holiday and as you have suggested she will test ride a couple.

Budget for her bike is about £399, this will have to cover price for a bike, decent lock and helmet.

She was thinking about the Pinnacle Stratus 1.0 or 2.0 Women's Hybrid Bike for £274 and £349, I know nothing about these. Anyone have any other recommendations for her?

Thanks