How quick does the colour wear off anodised pedals?

5Thumbs
5Thumbs Posts: 88
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
Need new flats and was thinking DMRs. Fancy black to match my frame but will they end up looking tatty in a coupe of weeks? If so I might as well opt for natural i.e. silver.

Anyone got any experience?

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    DMR's are painted not anodised, it doesn't last to long no.

Most of it lasts ok but they look very tatty around the pins and on the edges very quickly.

Anodised pedals (like superstar nano's) do the same as well. The paint is worn around the edges and around the pins after a few weeks
  • albo
    albo Posts: 260
    To be honest, I've gone through 2 sets of DMR V8's in 3 years... But not bothered about paint anymore, they still go round!

But yes, they do wear down rather quickly.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yup, pedals take an absolute beating so it needs a really good finish for it to last well. Some do, you can hard anodise them, but most will look pretty ratty very fast. Personally I say don't worry about it, it proves it's been ridden.

The DMRs do have particularily bad paint, to be fair though it makes sense, if you're building to a budget why spend money on paint that's going to fall off sooner or later regardless? But, I would say check out the Wellgo equivalents, they're far better value and Wellgo make the DMR pedals anyway! The black wears quite handsomely, the white wears really badly because it's on a black primer so you get white-black-metal, ugly as ****. I don't know about the silver.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    The silver isn't painted Northwind (its just a finish)

+1 for checking out the wellgo equivelants, you can get some V12 copies for less than a pair of DMR V8's
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Ah, so is it just clear over silver? Or just naked metal?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    Just naked metal that has been polished