How easy to change campagnolo BB

dru
dru Posts: 1,341
edited April 2010 in Workshop
Hi People,

How easy is it to remove a 111mm square taper Campagnolo english threaded bottom bracket and put into another frame.

Is it literally a case of unscrewing in with a bottom bracket removal tool and then greasing the new frame and screwing it back it?

Sorry for what might sound a silly question, I've never done it beofre and don't want to if I don't have all the tools for the job.

Cheers,

Dru.

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Presuming the receiving BB shell is the correct width and thread nationality and is faced then I think you can do what you suggest.

I'd be more than happy to be told I'm talking bollox, mind!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Dru wrote:
    Hi People,

How easy is it to remove a 111mm square taper Campagnolo english threaded bottom bracket and put into another frame.

Is it literally a case of unscrewing in with a bottom bracket removal tool and then greasing the new frame and screwing it back it?

Sorry for what might sound a silly question, I've never done it beofre and don't want to if I don't have all the tools for the job.

Cheers,

Dru.

Yep, if you have the right removal tool, and its not corroded in.

I had one in a frame where the loose cup which slides over the cartridge had fused to the cartridge. Gave it some stick to get it out, resulting in knackered BB and threads :(

Fortunately frame was being returned under warranty anyway. Since then I always put anti seize paste between the parts.

New campag BB, 111mm, english are about £17 from gb cycles.

Tool I have is spring loaded and screws into end of spindle, spring forces bit of tool which fits over the cup onto the cup. Tacx brand I think??
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    If you have never done it before I would advise getting some help from either a friend in the know or, at the very least, a step by step(with pictures) manual of some sorts. It's not that it is overly difficult but screwing it up and possibly ruining parts is not the way to
    go.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I'd recommend the Tacx tool - screws onto the spindle and engages firmly on the splines. Check out www.parktool.com for detailed instructions and pictures. Depends on how long the BB has been fitted to the frame, but you may need some good leverage to get it out.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    Just remember that one side has a reverse thread on it ( not the case with Italian threaded BBs ).
  • dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    Thanks all.

Looking into it, I'm probably just going to buy a new campag BB and install straight into the new frame and keep the old 'donar' bike in 100% working order.

Any special tools required for just installing a new BB?