Lightweight summer tyres for Full-suss?

wadsy
wadsy Posts: 70
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
I'm trying to decide upon some tyres for the 'summer' having just removed my Bonty Mud X from my Spark.

Looking for lightweight tyres (as it's a light build) and as I've got 355 rims probably a tubeless ready tyre.

I was thinking of Racing Ralphs or maybe Maxxis Ignitor. Not sure though, and not sure on size! can't decide between the extra volume of the 2.25 RR or the lighter weight of the 2.1; thinking that the suspension can do the work rather than the tyre! ;)

All input and advice welcome :)

Cheers

Comments

• llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    2.1 RRs on my Anthem are stunningly good. Very, very quick :D
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Maxxis Folding Ignitors £30.00 a pair posted from On One.....used them last week and they are great on compacted trails
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Ralphs or Rons if you don't live somewhere rocky. Or a Fred for the back if weight really matters!

The Evo ones convert nicely to tubeless.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Pudseyp wrote:
    Maxxis Folding Ignitors £30.00 a pair posted from On One.....used them last week and they are great on compacted trails

Or Kenda Nevegals for the same price, a bit knobblier probably but narrower (2.1 v 2.3) and lighter at 580g v 780g. A good tyre for all conditions as well. Obviously not going to be in the same class for speed as RR's but less than half the price. :)
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • hotnajers
    hotnajers Posts: 61
    Im just about to put my Kenda small block 8s back on for the summer , dont think there that easy to get now.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Small blocks are the business... Fast as hell and they don't just instantly murder you when it gets wet as some summer tyres do. They're not good at it mind, they just aren't awful which is a step up ;) And available in nice big sizes too. They're not great at big roots though, you need to run lower pressures to get them to do well with those but that's pretty minor.

They're like a Larsen that works ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Ignitors are great, but the 29er sucks so now I am on WTB Weirwolf LT.

Stunning grip in everything and VERY fast.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • +1 for Small Block 8's....
    "it rubs the lotion on its skin, or else it gets the hose again"
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Razer mx....

Beyond blisteringly fast, so fast they flay the flesh off your bones...

A touch terrifying in the wet up front, but the huge volume and low weight means they do still sort of hook up!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Razer mx....

Beyond blisteringly fast, so fast they flay the flesh off your bones...

A touch terrifying in the wet up front, but the huge volume and low weight means they do still sort of hook up!

I found that with 2.25 RRs on my hardtail. Can't wait to put them back on!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    the Nevegal is a all condition / intermediate tyre, it has loads of grip but is slightly sluggish compared with the fastest

If they are for dry conditions only, some popular choices are:

Maxxis CrossMark
    Specialized Sauserwind
    Swalbe Rocket Rons

From personal experience the Crossmark is very fast and fine in the dry but useless in anything more than damp conditions. Dunno about the other two, but they have been highly recommended to me by other riders I know.
  • wadsy
    Thanks for all the replies :)

Any thoughts on size? Is the weight saving of the 2.1 over a 2.25 or 2.3 worth it? Just wondering as it's to go on a full-sus. ;)

Cheers
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Depends on the tyre, some 2.3s are smaller than some 2.1s...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • wadsy
    Northwind wrote:

True, my '2,3' conti speed king is about a 2.0!
  • +1 for SB8's and they come in 2.1 which should be ok for you. I run the 2.35 are they are fairly chunky. Gotta say that I do love them on the back now the trails have dried out. Fast and with plenty of grip even in the wet unless the mud is sticky. I seem to remember that Kenda have one or two new 'summer' style tyres coming out very soon.
    Scott Genius 08, Marin Rock Springs 08, Marin Pine Mountain 89
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    wadsy wrote:
    Northwind wrote:

True, my '2,3' conti speed king is about a 2.0!

And my 1.95 Tioga Factory XC rear (Great back tyre but not light) is wider than a 2.1.

Ignitors are great 3 season tyres Ihmo but not very light, probably gonna be my first weight saving upgrade on my Kona.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I`d have a serious look at the new Maxxis Aspens.Large volume and only 480g in a 2.1.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    Running 2.35 Ignitor LUST upfornt with a 2.1 Highroller LUST rear.....still find the HR a little draggy so might go back to a 2.1 Crossmark on the rear soon....
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Maxxis Minion 2.35 60a Sp or Ignitor 62a 2.35 or 2.1 up front (depends on how much grip you want, 2.1 ignitor rolls best but grips worst, kinda hard to tell rolling between the other two but the minion grips best)

On the rear, 2.4 60a Maxxis Holy Roller

Rolls amazingly well but works well in wet/damp conditions as well and they grip sooooo well :D