Garmin Oregan 450 and Activ SatMap

mikee1979
mikee1979 Posts: 151
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
Has anyone got any of these GPS devices? I really like the idea of having the OS maps on the GPS. Currently I have an Edge 205 which has been one of my best buys as it's kept me on my plotted routes for the last three years, the only downside is if I need to deviate from the route then it's back to getting the map out. I don't mind going old school with the printed maps but it can be a a pain getting the map out every time 10 mins to make sure you going in the right direction.

Would be good to know which is the best out of the two or if anyone has any user experience of either.

Cheeers

Comments

• XCMark
    XCMark Posts: 55
    Hi, I have an Oregon and it is a good bit of kit although the Garmin Topo maps are crap for mountainbiking in my experience, when plotting a route in map source they try and route you over roads and keep you away from trails. I use the free maps from openmtbmap.org and find them excellent.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I have the Satmap Active 10,best GPS i've ever used.BUT it is large and the bike mount is expensive at £25.The OS mapping is excellent and I also got Satmaps online route-planner(similar to memorey map)free which is now £70 IIRC.Having said that it's easy to plot routes on the unit itself due to the large screen.
    Memory map have brought out a GPS now which i probably would have bought if it had been available 18 months ago.
  • mikee1979
    Thanks for the feedback, what is the battery life like on the SatMap and Oregan?

Will check out the memory map GPS, although I use Tracklogs so may not be much use to me.
  • mikee1979
    Memory Map GPS does look very good.
  • Dazza78
    Dazza78 Posts: 32
    Memory Map is quite possibly just the kind of GPS mapping system I've been looking for to go on my phone :)
  • XCMark
    XCMark Posts: 55
    2 AA batteries give me 10 hours on the oregon give or take but that is using the backlight.
  • mikee1979
    XCMark wrote:
    2 AA batteries give me 10 hours on the oregon give or take but that is using the backlight.

Is the Oregan rechargable? I can see myself going through a lot of batteries. Although AA batteries are easy to take on a ride in case you run out.
  • flowpro
    flowpro Posts: 64
    I've tested them all.

Satmap is great no real faults but large and looks big on the bike stem.

Garmin is ok looks better and you can now get them with full OS mapping but you try using them there are really slow to respond and the map takes ages to refresh.

I'm now on the Memery map 2800 it's well priced and does work very well and fast to respond but you can't change the battery which is a flaw although it still gives you 10hrs same as the other two.

Garmin 205 was great and the new 705 is also wonderful excect the Altimeter in mine keeps failing. :x
  • mikee1979
    Cheers for the advice, looks like the Memory Map GPS maybe the way to go (when I have the money)