Maxxis Minion's on a hard tail

northtrack
northtrack Posts: 77
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi Everyone, I'm looking for some decent tyres for my Specialized Rockhopper Pro 09

Using the standard Specialized tyres atm, they are 2.00

I've been looking at some slightly larger tyres and read about the new maxxis minion DH tyres but I'm a little worried that these might look very large on my bike as the smallest they make is 2.35 i think,

Just worried about the clearance on the rear frame and also the shocks (I've got Rockshox Rebel SL's)

I do quite alot of off road with muddy and dry conditions.

Just would like to know if anyone else have tried these on their hardtails

Thanks

Peter

Comments

• 2.35 minions come up fairly small :)

I have them on my P7!

Get the single ply if you do get them.
  • jedi_master
    jedi_master Posts: 888
    Got the single ply versions on my Sintesi + Tora 318s. Good tyres.
  • nice one, is it better to go for a DH Front and a DH Rear or buy two fronts and use one as a rear (just going of a review I'm reading in a recent mag and it says the fronts can be used as rears
  • jedi_master
    jedi_master Posts: 888
    I'm running the front and rear versions, works great for me. Not tried the front tread front and rear though.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yep, it's maxxis so the tyre size is just a lie. Which is good though because the 2.35 works out as a great allround tyre for that reason. It's more a cornering tyre than a braking tyre, you need to be riding reasonably hard to get the most out of them I reckon, or that was my impression- straightline braking grip isn't all that hot but they just dig in when leaned over.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    Yep, it's maxxis so the tyre size is just a lie. Which is good though because the 2.35 works out as a great allround tyre for that reason. It's more a cornering tyre than a braking tyre, you need to be riding reasonably hard to get the most out of them I reckon, or that was my impression- straightline braking grip isn't all that hot but they just dig in when leaned over.

Awesome, thanks mate, sounds like just the job, I'll get some ordered :D
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Another good option is the Kenda nevegals, the 2.1 is barely any smaller than the Minion and rolls faster, and I think is a fair bit lighter too. (the 2.35 is miles bigger and miles slower). Better straightline grip but worse cornering grip, and does a slightly annoying "grip forever then suddenly slide like mad" thing. I really like them, prefer them to the minions myself but it's close. Won't go wrong with either, or with highroller 2.3s for that matter, or with loads of other good tyres ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • DB100
    DB100 Posts: 258
    I run DH f on both front and rear and they are fantastic tyres.
    Cheap too!! Evans cycles are best for price I think, £19.99 each last I looked. And no I don't work for them!!
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    best option I have found is a high roller on the rear with a minion up front.

Grips better than with 2 front minions (less drifty) but still can be quite drifty
  • Bluemoon39
    Bluemoon39 Posts: 168
    Just fitted 2.35 kevlar 60a DHf to rear of my hardtail with Nobby Nic on front.
    The sidewalls on my rear NN only lasted 3 months so I'm hoping the Minion will last longer but still give good grip.
    Not tried it out yet but can say that width is pretty much the same same as the 2.1 NN - it doesn't look like a 2.35 tyre.
    I fitted the DHf to the rear with the tread the wrong way round , I read this made it more grippy.
    I guess I'll find out Saturday morning.
    Mongoose Tyax Super 2008 with just a few upgrades...
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Bluemoon39 wrote:
    I fitted the DHf to the rear with the tread the wrong way round , I read this made it more grippy.
    I guess I'll find out Saturday morning.

It gives better pedalling grip but not cornering grip, it is more drifty I think but thats good :D