Rust prevention spray

The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
edited April 2010 in MTB general
Whats the name of the rust prevention spray for steel frames you spray inside?

Is it worth doing to the Cotic?

Cheers

Comments

• blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    JP Weigle framesaver - good look finding some in stock though.

WD40 is going up and down my tubes when the frame gets here, does the same job cheaper.

And it's still unnecessary - both of us will be dead before the rust reaches critical point. :lol:
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    :lol:

Meh - will just put some WD40/GT85 in then (presumning GT85 does the same job)

EDIT: Oh and what frame are you getting?
  • blister pus
    The new Pipedream Sirius R853. It finally flies out this weekend, barring any more volcano horsepucky nonsense.

Mind, I've checked my email records and I've only been waiting 8 months for the fucker. What's another week gonna make. :roll:
  • Whats the name of the rust prevention spray for steel frames you spray inside?

Is it worth doing to the Cotic?

Cheers

I have a cotic myself and had never considered this, surely the 853 main triangle is more resilient due , its just the other grades of steel like the rear triangle and head tube? I cant remember which are made of what.

Never even considered protecting the inside, got me thinking/worrying now

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • blister pus
    It's something you'd do if you'd just bought a frame and not put anything together as a precautionary measure, but a modern steel frame rusting to a critical point from the inside out will take longer than most people ever keep the frame / bike and it'll quite literally out live quite a few. You certainly wouldn't strip a build down just to treat the frame.
  • Naaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    there's loads of stories of people renovating old steel road bikes that have been sitting in a damp skip for years. If they run fine then surely a well kept bike would be fine too. Don't worry about it.

blister pus, Crikey :shock: are you still waiting for that frame? I remember when I first found out about them and was tempted to sign up for one. That was ages ago!
  • blister pus
    jairaj wrote:
    blister pus, Crikey :shock: are you still waiting for that frame? I remember when I first found out about them and was tempted to sign up for one. That was ages ago!

Don't remind me. If it wasn't for the fact I wasn't desperate for a change I'd have bailed a long time ago but I also got it at the original pre-order price and the weight is the clincher (4.1 lbs) and I wasn't too sold on the alternatives I tried tbh, so thought I'd stick and take a punt.