Which light weight XC hard tail ?

Pudseyp
Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
Me yet again (large sigh's from the forum readers)

My Cyclescheme voucher will be arriving next week and after weeks banging my head trying to pick a nice hardtail for £1,000 to £1,200 I tought I had settled on the Rock Lobster, a nice frame and fully speced to XT and Reba SL for £1,200...looked at the Scandal and 456 bothe very nice, the Scandal to my spec is over a grand and the 456 £1,300...and with 140mm up front totally goes against what I need...anyway to cut a long story short seen this : http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b0s2p2291 a Giant XTC Alliance carbon/alloy frame, fox floats and a mix of SLX and XT..Juicy fives...ok the XM117 rims on Deore hubs are the compromise but for an all dayer XC machine I guess perfectly Ok...and at £999 a steal anyone got one orc ridden one ?

So the long and short of it the Rock Lobster for £1,200 or the XTC for a bargain £999 ?? stumped again so need help....
Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !

Comments

• The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    The GIant without a doubt.

Rock Lobster are great, but for that price and kit the Giant is a winner, and a lovely frame to eventually upgrade upon
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Pauls cycles have the Zaskar Expert Carbon at 1200, worth a look.
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    supersonic wrote:

Oh yes, defo worth the look!!! 8)
  • Or just upgrade the forks on the lobster to the rebas...and just pay the 1k..and go ride it :)
  • jacob2910
    jacob2910 Posts: 218
    supersonic wrote:
    i would get this
  • That a team?
  • Torques
    Torques Posts: 3
    The Giant has a better shock, rear derailler and brakes compared to the GT.
    But the GT has better wheels and a much nicer frame (carbon). It also has better reviews.

Personally I would go for the GT. I would be interested to know how much one weighs.

The Boadman pro should still be considered (Yawn Yawn)
  • supersonic
    The GT weighs 23.8lbs
  • Pudseyp
    The 09 XTC weighs just on 25lb so not much in it I guess...the 2010 is actually lighter than the Zaskar...

The XTC wil cost me £1,100 and the Zaskar £1,320 as Paul's add on an extra 10% for cyclescheme as they have to pay 10% commision...which to me is fair as the bikes are sale bikes. So is the GT worth £220 more ??????
  • supersonic
    Hmmm. Hard to say, quite similar specs with a few swings and roundabouts - the main difference is the frame really.

Both are very good value - I would say test, but I know that can be difficult.

So as I have one lol, get the Zaskar :wink:
  • Torques
    Cheers for the weight Supersonic.
    Oddly enough that is the same as the Boadman Pro.

How do you find your Zaskar Carbon Team?

Pudseyp - They are the actual retail prices plus 10%, but you will pay significantly less on the sceme. Do you know how much?
  • supersonic
    I like it very much! Was exactly the sort of frame I wanted - light, but not XC race fragile. They can take a bit of stick. The come alive at speed over rocky terrain where you can feel the carbon taking the sting out of the trail. The alu zaskar feels a bit more lively over rocks.

My build weighs about 24lbs.
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    if you can push 1300 the gary fisher big sur is a nice fast bike.
  • Pud...y hav u changed yur mind?.................did u ever consider the steel framed lobster?
  • supersonic
  • Lol..okies silly me
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp - They are the actual retail prices plus 10%, but you will pay significantly less on the sceme. Do you know how much?[/quote]

The actual retail price was £1,500 and has 33% off so now £999 as Cyclescheme take a commision of 10% as well basicaly Pauls would get £899 so I pay 11% extra which takes it to £1,108 so Paul's get the £999 sale price and I am happy as I have saved £400 on the retail and thanks to cyclescheme pay around £600...so a £1,500 bike for £600....bargain !!.....so if I bought the Zaskar it would cost me £1,332...if it was a 2010 bike a retail they do not charge anything on top due to the markup on a new bike...

So I guess if your going to buy a 2010 bike haggle like mad as there must be a substancial mark up !!
  • Torques
    If you after a medium and can increase your budget this is a bargain:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/roc ... gn=froogle
  • Pudseyp
    Like the Rocky Mountain however its more than I want to pay plus they only have small's and I am 6ft3" really swinging towards the Giant at the mo...
  • novikkn
    novikkn Posts: 4
    Have a look on Cube LTD Race £1039, just bought him a week ago and I'm very satisfied. Great forks Reba dual air and powerfull breaks Formula RX, and XT derailleurs with SLX shifters and the total weight is 11kg only.
    In last 7 days I went 4 times on new Monkey trail in Cannock Chase and I need to say that I'm very pleased from this bike, everything works perfect. And his really realy fast.
    Also the frame black anodised is spot on, looks 100 times better in real then on picture.
  • Pudseyp
    novikkn wrote:
    Have a look on Cube LTD Race £1039, just bought him a week ago and I'm very satisfied. Great forks Reba dual air and powerfull breaks Formula RX, and XT derailleurs with SLX shifters and the total weight is 11kg only.
    In last 7 days I went 4 times on new Monkey trail in Cannock Chase and I need to say that I'm very pleased from this bike, everything works perfect. And his really realy fast.
    Also the frame black anodised is spot on, looks 100 times better in real then on picture.

Nice bit of kit but the Giant is much better value...the Fox in my opinion is better than the Reba...still nice though