Custom Wheels

monotokpoint
monotokpoint Posts: 91
edited April 2010 in MTB general
In the process of a new build and am looking for somewhere that will build some custom wheels, using Halo Excite R rims / spokes plus Hope Pro II hubs. Only place I can find with that combo is CRC, but they are out of the rims.

Anyone know of somewhere else I could try :?:

Comments

• The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    peter413 wrote:
    Merlin?

Nope. Only sell Mavic and DT IIRC
  • Seems to be the same most places, just Mavic and DT :(
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Try looking on Halo's website / Halo''s UK distributor's website for UK retailers
  • Good idea will give that a go
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    I know its a pain, I really want a set of Syncros rims on Hope hubs but nowhere seems to offer them as a build :(
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Merlin do Stans rims as well. Not that this helps you at all ;) Try and find a genuine wheelbuilder not just a shop, there are places that'll build whatever you take them or do total custom orders. On the spokes, do make sure you get something that's easy to find replacements for, it's a pain having your bike parked because it takes a month to get 1 spoke!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    I think you guys need to find a decent LBS.

Online stuff if fine, and I hear good things about Merlin and CRC builds, but personally when I want wheels built I want the guy I know in my LBS to do it, and not to worry if Online shop's got a YTS kid in or Postman Pat's used the box for football practice.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Merlin built their reputation on their wheels, as have wheelsmith...

I wouldn't use anyone else online. Personally I build my own...