xt or hope 2 hub

coxy17
coxy17 Posts: 401
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
hi i need a new rear wheel i want to get a hope pro 2 hub but the xt hub is 60 cheaper is the hope hub worth the extra 60 and what is the difference between the hubs
thnaks

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    xt has cup and cone bearings and needs regular maintenance or they suffer the death.

hope have cartridge bearings and are pretty much entirely rebuildable. Legendary support.

I'd say the hopes are worth the 60 quid. But there are cheaper options out there
  • coxy17
    thanks what are the other options other than xt
  • coxy17
    i have 160 for the wheel so i guess the hope would be the best opion
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    the superstar ones are supposed to be quite nice.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Coxy - just had the same dilemma.

Went for Hope 2 Pro hub and a Mavic xc717 rim - get it tomorrow so will report back. Worked out cheaper to get a handbuilt wheel from Hope than getting a separate hub rebuilt onto my old rim.

Looked at XTR but Hope swung it.

The wheel and rim is £165 with decent spokes.
  • coxy17
    my local bikes shop has hope 2 dt swiss 5.1 for 160 fitted so i think i will go for that to match my front one
  • coxy17
    my local bikes shop has hope 2 dt swiss 5.1 for 160 fitted so i think i will go for that to match my front one
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Depends. If you can stand the horrible noise, Hope is hard to argue with, they're light and very adaptable. But you might tear up the freehub body and the entire hub might just crack as they sometimes do ;) (if it does, hope WILL sort you out, they're very good for that)

XT on the other hand doesn't sound horrible, doesn't care what cassette you fit, but is heavier and higher maintenance. Much cheaper obviously.

I ended up with Hope, tbh I'd have been a bit happier with XT or a DT240 but Hope made sense.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Price, weight and performance wise the XTR is closer to the Hope than XT.
  • coxy17
    the xtr hub is the same as the whole hope wheel
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I like Hope kit but I have used XT hubs since 1996 without any problems. The cups and cones are easily adjustable and just need a bit of routine maintenance now and then.

And they are silent.
  • supersonic
    coxy17 wrote:
    the xtr hub is the same as the whole hope wheel

And the Hope Pro hub is nearly the same as two full XT hubbed wheels built up lol. Depends where you buy from. CRC are doing a pair of XTr hubs built up for 250 quid - need to add a little more for better rims, but still a competitive package. They have gone up a lot recently though.
  • coxy17
    i allready have the front wheel thats a hope one i can get the wheel online for 140 so i might get that instead of from the bike shop because they want 60 to fit it along with some new cabels and a bash guard which is a rip off my other local bike shop only want 20 to fit it all
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    Hope - you get the schoolboy 'plastic cup on the rear tyre' noise (which is something that should never be overlooked), bearings are lovely and require no maintenance, plus last for ages, and a strip down & service is under 10 minutes.

Other cool things about Hope stuff:

- When you are stuck inside in bad weather/winter, you can race the guy on their Youtube videos to see if you can do a service faster than him. Obviously this is for the competitive among us!

- You're doing your little bit to support a small but very niche British firm rather than a far Eastern behemoth.
  • mackie1
    mackie1 Posts: 95
    I'm currently having the same dilemma specing a new bike. I'm using SLX brakes so going XT means I can use SLX splined rotors, if I go hope then I'll need to find alternatives. Hmm.
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    andyrm wrote:
    - When you are stuck inside in bad weather/winter, you can race the guy on their Youtube videos to see if you can do a service faster than him. Obviously this is for the competitive among us!.

Or the exceptionally sad :lol:

Hope everytime to be honest, they're bomb proof
  • andyrm
    Steve_b77 wrote:
    andyrm wrote:
    - When you are stuck inside in bad weather/winter, you can race the guy on their Youtube videos to see if you can do a service faster than him. Obviously this is for the competitive among us!.

Or the exceptionally sad :lol:

Hope everytime to be honest, they're bomb proof

Yup, you got me there!!!!!! :lol:
  • PaceFace
    PaceFace Posts: 63
    Shimano don't do red! Best thing I've bought for the bike, upgraded from Deore Hubs which ate the bearing surface after a year of riding. I think most cone type do the same. The ease of servicing swung it for me. And the colour :D

4542998450_e60f061d65.jpg
    4542998212_90d9dae76a.jpg
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I have a 12 year old XT rear hub on my commuter that is still running as smooth as a babys bum. I fitted a new freehub last year (its 3rd I think) and I have fitted new ball bearings every year or so.

I bet I can strip the hub down clean out the old grease and bearings regrease fit new balls (£1.50 last time I bought some) assemble, readjust cones and refit to frame whilst your still trying to get the bearings out of a Hope hub

Must admit I fancy some red hubs on my next project so I might go for Superstar or Hope for sheer eye candy effect :D
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    PaceFace wrote:
    Shimano don't do red! Best thing I've bought for the bike, upgraded from Deore Hubs which ate the bearing surface after a year of riding. I think most cone type do the same.

Unless you do huge mileages, this is code for "poor servicing kills hubs". Water ingress or running them loaded wrongly, in this case.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    hopes every time. your future proofing your bike for different axle sizes. for a £20 conevrsion kit you can change to what ever diametre you want in second rather than spending hundreds on a new hub / wheel.

I like the loud noise as well, lets walker know your coming up behind them (rather too fast)
  • andyrm
    sofaboy - agreed!! Plus I find the very concept of servicing cup & cone bearings - and the hassle of it all - a bit archaic to be honest.
  • supersonic
    I wouldn't say archaic - being able to adjust the bearings is an advantage to many. Hassle is subjective. I can strip and service these hubs in minutes.
  • M6TTF
    M6TTF Posts: 602
    I find cup and cone a right old fiddle, never seem to get it 'just right'
    that said, I don't do it very often so it's always a learning curve for me. For this reason alone, I like the idea of a press-fit bearing. Superstar have some nice sounding revisions to their wheelsets out in the next month or two so I'll be looking at those
  • coxy17
    im going to get the hope wheel as i have found it for 140 on the net which seems like a good price 40 cheaper than my lbs