fox vanilla replacement

SpeedSailor
SpeedSailor Posts: 5
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I have an 07 marin rock springs which i love.

I would like to replace the front and rear shock which are getting a bit long in the tooth.

Can anyone recommend a half decent fork to replace this.

I as thinking of going the second hand route via ebay and getting an rp23 for the rear and a Fox 32 F120 RLC. i know the vanilla is 140mm travel but im guessing the overall length of the fork would be the same.

what about a rockshox revelation?

I dont have the money to replace the rock springs so some decent suspension will hopefully put the icing on the cake.

any advice would be much appreciated.

cheers

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Don't think the float on the front will be the same length, you will need the 140mm float or vanilla. They are both worth the money INO though
  • jamazin
    jamazin Posts: 371
    The f120s look good. Apparently they are 300 quid on chain reaction sycles. Would you be selling the Vanillas by an chance?
    Mabie forest. Maybe one of the greatest places to ride.
  • peter413
    Just remembered On-one are selling Fox Float (140mm) RL's for 300 quid

Might be exactly what you need if you have a 140mm vanilla
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Going from 140mm to 120mm forks will steepen the head angle and change the geometry a lot. I'd stick to 140mm forks if you're happy with the way the bike handles.

Also when was the last time you serviced your forks and shocks? Send them off to TF tuned and they'll come back like new and much cheaper than buying new ones
  • Thanks for the replies.

i think i will go for the service route for the forks (sorry jamazin) and replace the rear shock. does the propedal make a big difference, or would a lockout shock be better for the uphill jaunts.

my shock measures 200mm eye to eye when its in the frame. i'm guessing this is the correct measurement for for the replacement.

another question! :P

i have been thinking of getting some carbon bars and seat post. i know carbon is stronger than alloy but is not very strong in impact and compression. (crushing) is it critical to use a torque wrench when fitting a carbon bar? reason for the question is i dont want to have to buy a torque wrench.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    i think i will go for the service route for the forks (sorry jamazin) and replace the rear shock. does the propedal make a big difference, or would a lockout shock be better for the uphill jaunts.

As far as I know the pro pedal is designed to stop bobbing when peddling. It depends on your suspension system, some naturally reduce pedal bob so you wouldn't notice too much difference. while others can bob a lot and would benefit from pro pedal.

Also some riders prefer an active suspension even on climbs so the wheel is always tracking the ground while others prefer a stiff rear end to put down all the power they produce.

So its depends on a mixture of the suspension system and your riding preference.
  • peter413
    Normally the propedal is geat for everything except DH/FR
  • ive just ordered an rp23 from tf tuning.

it will be here next week. i'll let you know how i get on.

thanks for the help :D