Flat pedals but not MG-1s

ride_whenever
ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
I've had a pair of mg-1's, hell i've had a few pairs, but mine are now creaking because the bearings are going and a strip clean and re-assemble didn't fix them....

Should I bother re-building them, as in my experience it rarely solves the issues, or should i get something else. If i were to get something else, what should i get? I love my MG-1 but the noise is driving me up the wall!

Comments

• Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    Gussett Slim Jims are nice & reasonably light weight. My favourite flats are Shimano DX MX30's though, such a great shape that sticks to your feet, only downside is the average 500g weight.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Superstar Nano's.

Quite light, tough as anything and come in lots of colours :D

Did I mention they feel great and have amazing grip :wink:
  • love my superstar pedals atm!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yep, if not MGs then Superstars. Don't know which is better really but it's got to be one of hte two...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • tatman69
    tatman69 Posts: 176
    I use Superstars paired with some 5.10s and the grip is fantastic. The pedals are also very light.
  • ride_whenever
    hmmm, might try the superstars, although I can't get them at trade :(
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    I can't get them at trade :(

Welcome to the real world ;)
  • ride_whenever
    I'd rather not 8)

It pains me greatly because my money goes a lot less far in the real world, anything a bit more expensive come to mind?

I suppose i could get some burgtec or summint instead.
  • +1 for the Gusset Slim Jim's, done me well since my recent change.

Light, grippy (even with the smaller pins) and choice of colours for the pimps :wink:
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

A day where you don't learn something is a waste...
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    I've had a pair of mg-1's, hell i've had a few pairs, but mine are now creaking because the bearings are going and a strip clean and re-assemble didn't fix them....

Should I bother re-building them, as in my experience it rarely solves the issues, or should i get something else. If i were to get something else, what should i get? I love my MG-1 but the noise is driving me up the wall!

You don't need to strip them! Just grease them more regularly.

Remove alloy outer dust seal, fill with grease, refit dust seal and repeat until the grease is expelled from the other side of axle. If you where to do this every 3 months or so I reckon they would have probably lasted longer.

The problem with a strip and rebuild is that it takes time and you will tend to put it off until next week and if your anything like me next week never comes.

The above method works a dream and takes about five minutes per pedal. It 's covered in the Tech support section.
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    A couple of guys I ride with swear by shimano DX...not tried them myself yet, but they may be worth a look.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • peter413
    A couple of guys I ride with swear by shimano DX...not tried them myself yet, but they may be worth a look.

I quite liked the look of them myself but then I saw "non-replacable pins" bugger :roll:
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Outland Kustom

I have the ones that look like wood
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    peter413 wrote:

I quite liked the look of them myself but then I saw "non-replacable pins" bugger :roll:

Pins are replaceable on them, they come with short & long pins in the box.
  • ride_whenever
    Dirtydog11 wrote:

You don't need to strip them! Just grease them more regularly.

Remove alloy outer dust seal, fill with grease, refit dust seal and repeat until the grease is expelled from the other side of axle. If you where to do this every 3 months or so I reckon they would have probably lasted longer.

The problem with a strip and rebuild is that it takes time and you will tend to put it off until next week and if your anything like me next week never comes.

The above method works a dream and takes about five minutes per pedal. It 's covered in the Tech support section.

Thank you, mine have lasted about 18 months, and i regularly grease them. but I assume it is the bushing that have gone as both cartridge bearings were still very smooth with no slop in them. As for not stripping them due to it taking time. I tend to do it when the shop is quiet as it's fairly therapeutic.
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    Salsa wrote:
    peter413 wrote:

+ potato... they come with 2 sets of pins
  • peter413
    Salsa wrote:
    peter413 wrote:

Ah ok.

From the descriptios I saw, they had stubs, not pins. Maybe they were the older ones or something
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Superstar pedals are the best.

They also sell all spares online at a reasonable price.

Very good company to deal with too.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • KitsuneAndy
    KitsuneAndy Posts: 164
    +1 for the superstars.

I have some green Nano Thru Pins and they're awesome :)
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    wellgo b-54's are very good. 495 grams, CNCed alu, £25 from CRC, so grippy it's unreal, and all replacable pins.
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    wellgo b-54's are very good. 495 grams, CNCed alu, £25 from CRC, so grippy it's unreal, and all replacable pins.

I've actually just came back from my first ride with these on my bike! Bought them after seeing yourself and, I think, Cat With No Tail, raving about how good they are. Amazing grip and a nice big platform for my size 12 feet. A big improvement over my old pedals and a big confidence boost - who'd have thought pedals made such a difference...
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Tough as old boots too. Most people don't really need a really tough pedal but if you do, these are hard to top.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Chivalry
    Chivalry Posts: 48
    can't believe no one recommends kona wah wah's... great pedals!
    only 478g.... 17mm thick and are mental grippy... and a high quality cartridge bearing.
    check em out
  • JamesBrckmn
    asdfhjkl wrote:

I've actually just came back from my first ride with these on my bike! Bought them after seeing yourself and, I think, Cat With No Tail, raving about how good they are. Amazing grip and a nice big platform for my size 12 feet. A big improvement over my old pedals and a big confidence boost - who'd have thought pedals made such a difference...

someone actually values my opinion! good to hear your pleased with them. being thirteen, i only have size 7 1/2 feet, but the big platform is still helpful. when you got yours, did you find the screws in the middle hadn't been put in and were in a little plastic bag with an allen key? i did, but it wasn't exactly hard to do, and if leaving some pins unscrewed is what makes them such good value, i don't mind
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    asdfhjkl wrote:

someone actually values my opinion! good to hear your pleased with them. being thirteen, i only have size 7 1/2 feet, but the big platform is still helpful. when you got yours, did you find the screws in the middle hadn't been put in and were in a little plastic bag with an allen key? i did, but it wasn't exactly hard to do, and if leaving some pins unscrewed is what makes them such good value, i don't mind

Yeah, I did wonder about that. I've seen pictures of them where they don't have any pins in the middle, so I'm not too sure why that is. The extra pins weren't as long, either. I put them on anyway. :P
  • JamesBrckmn
    i think the ones in the middle aren't supposed to be as long, so it's a concave shape? :?
  • ride_whenever
    hmmmm, due to my inablilty to find the rebuild kits i've ordered a set of these badboys:

43495.jpg

8) 8) 8)