• nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    Me 92 kgs
    Bike 10.5 kgs
    (please not the use of proper units)

Ratio 8.76
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Me - 164lbs (5'8"), less than 9% bodyfat, 30" waist, BMI just in overweight category (!!)
    Bike - 22.5lbs

ratio - 7.3
  • furby
    furby Posts: 200
    Whilst the ratio might be pointless, im sure someone could come up with some meaningful mathematical system.

meaningful, but not that useful!
  • furby wrote:
    Whilst the ratio might be pointless, im sure someone could come up with some meaningful mathematical system.

meaningful, but not that useful!

n+1
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Who cares? Stuff like this is kind of fun!

A bit concerned about Realmans weight though - that's very very light!
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    177lbs me

26.5lbs bike

Ratio 6.68.

Pointless numbers

The funniest thing is he's "realman" and under 9st :lol:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    RealMan wrote:
    Lots of people seem to be more interested in shedding 30g off a cassette then a couple of kilos off their stomachs. But do they realise just how light their bike is compared to them?

Me: 121 lbs
    Bike: 26 lbs

Rider:Bike Ratio: 4.65

Which means that I'm over four and a half times my bikes weight. And my bikes not particularly light, whereas I am.

What's yours?
    Me 150 lbs
    Bike 25lbs

Ratio 6.0

RM, you are rather light!
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    Me 266 lbs (curse working away for 3 months and living in hotels drinking too much beer)
    Bike 23 lbs

Ratio 11.5

Do I win?

I keep up with and am faster than some of the guys I ride with that are lighter than me by some considerable margin. So your theory is flawed mate :)
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    Socom: 4:1
    Foreplay: 4.7:1
    Stumpy: 5.6:1
    IO: 7.5:1
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Steve_b77 wrote:
    The funniest thing is he's "realman" and under 9st :lol:

Depends on your definition of "real" and "man".. :wink:

And yes, in terms of who is fastest, this ratio is quite pointless.

But I wasn't think about speed. My point was that (been seeing a lot of 6s and 7s) that if you lose 1% of your bodyweight, it makes around 6 or 7 times the difference to losing 1% of your bikes weight.

The point is, would you rather go on a diet, or go for a dump, then buy a new, lighter cassette or seatpost? You burn off a bit off fat, you look better, you feel better, you will be healthier (up to a point, for example, I don't have much to lose..). I think the only reason people seem to think a lighter bike will be better then a lighter body, is that you don't notice yourself get lighter as its usually a more gradual process.

You buy a new cassette, and the only thing that gets noticeably lighter is your wallet.. :D
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    My point was that (been seeing a lot of 6s and 7s) that if you lose 1% of your bodyweight, it makes around 6 or 7 times the difference to losing 1% of your bikes weight.

On paper, yes. Out riding, no - it is usually easier to feel the weight loss on the bike due to mechanics, centre of mass and other things.
  • RealMan
    supersonic wrote:
    On paper, yes. Out riding, no - it is usually easier to feel the weight loss on the bike due to mechanics, centre of mass and other things.

Care to explain a bit more..?

I think it's all about the fact that losing body weight is more gradual, and so you get used to it - there's no big changes that will really stand out. But going from a DH bike to an XC bike is an instant change, and of course makes it noticeable.

I'm not arguing that bike weight doesn't make a difference - it does. But nowhere near as big as rider weight.

A couple of people commenting saying I'm quite light, and I am. I f**king fly up hills. I love it. :D

Someone said they were double me? So basically if I was going up a hill with you, you'd have to do nearly twice the work I was doing just to keep up. And from start, if we both had the same power output, your acceleration would be roughly half mine.

The only time when my weight being a disadvantage is when going downhill on road bikes. I'm spinning like mad in top gear, on the drops, and people tear past me on the hoods freewheeling. Its because of the ratio of weight to surface area (air resistance) I think.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    RealMan wrote:
    Steve_b77 wrote:
    The point is, would you rather go on a diet, or go for a dump, then buy a new, lighter cassette or seatpost? You burn off a bit off fat, you look better, you feel better, you will be healthier (up to a point, for example, I don't have much to lose..). I think the only reason people seem to think a lighter bike will be better then a lighter body, is that you don't notice yourself get lighter as its usually a more gradual process.

You buy a new cassette, and the only thing that gets noticeably lighter is your wallet.. :D
    I agree with that - I'd struggle to drop a kilo off my bike and pay hundreds to do it. Losing about 5kg over the last year has cost nout and has had a noticeable effect :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • supersonic
    A basic experiment - put a 10 lbs weight where the riders COG is, say a rucksack, and ride. Now put it where the bike is in the front triangle. Go and ride a demanding trail.

Now tell me what you notice? Look at the differences when cornering, moving the bike under you, lifting the front end, bunny hops etc,.

It is not as simple as just mass, it is location and how it moves.

Yes, small changes are hard to notice, but overall mass lost from the bike is better than off the person. Though both is ideal
  • RealMan
    A mate of mine at my boxing club who wasn't particularly fat - about 5"9 or 10 I think and 80k - lost over 10kg in about a month. For a couple of quid per week for the boxing sessions. And of course, he's not just lighter - he's fitter and stronger. And that (for all you people who are going on about speed), is what makes you faster.
  • supersonic
    That is another part to the argument - fitter and stronger is good. And we all should aim for that.

But weight for weight - off the bike is generally better.
  • RealMan
    Oh yeah, if you're talking a kilo off the body or a kilo off the bike, then go for the bike. Obviously.

But losing a kilo off a bike is bloody hard, and expensive. Losing a kilo off your body can be done in less then a week, for nothing other then a bit of commitment.
  • depends if you're losing muscle mass or flab.

Muscle weight quite a lot more than flab...so for some of us, losing weight means losing muscle!
  • supersonic
    Anyway, the figures: just been outside with the scales lol.

I was 12st 13 which is 181 lbs.

Me and bike were 14 stone 9 which puts the bike at 24lbs.

Ratio = 7.54:1
  • hmm thats not a bad way to poorly weigh my bike :P
  • supersonic
    WHich is what 90% of people here have done lol.
  • Well I didn't bloody know :P

tis somewhere between 28lb and 29lb according to the scales :lol:
    Not bad!
  • supersonic
    Not too bad! Maybe swap to a Zaskar Carbon frame will knock 3lbs off in an instant ;-
  • geoff93
    geoff93 Posts: 190
    Me - 151.8 lbs
    Bike - 30 lbs
    ratio - 4.61
    Trek Madone 3.5 (RS80s, Arione)
    Trek Madone 3.1 (Upgraded)
    Ribble TT Bike
    Trek Mamba (Garry Fisher Collection)
  • RealMan
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Well I didn't bloody know :P

Its quite a similar build to mine actually, maybe add 1 or 2lbs for the frame, and maybe the bashguard and wheels. So you are probably right with 28ish.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    RealMan wrote:
    Losing a kilo off your body can be done in less then a week, for nothing other then a bit of commitment.

Depends how heavy you are. I'm already borderline underweight, if I lose a kilo my dietician would shout at me.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Dodgex1
    Dodgex1 Posts: 1,306
    II like this, I like it more because I'm so small and my bikes so fat.
    I'm 140lbs

Bikes 38-42ish lbs.
    "This is ******!, We can't ride out bikes in the dirt like this!"
  • RealMan
    Northwind wrote:
    Depends how heavy you are. I'm already borderline underweight, if I lose a kilo my dietician would shout at me.

Yes, of course. I did say before..
    RealMan wrote:
    You burn off a bit off fat, you look better, you feel better, you will be healthier (up to a point, for example, I don't have much to lose..).

But when you're already quite light, it doesn't seem to matter as much (or at least to me) how light the bike is. You're already flying up the hills.
  • RealMan
    Dodgex1 wrote:
    II like this, I like it more because I'm so small and my bikes so fat.
    I'm 140lbs

Bikes 38-42ish lbs.

140/40 = 3.5

Which could be the smallest ratio here..
  • Dodgex1
    Dodgex1 Posts: 1,306
    It comes from being 5ft 4" and having a Peeler.
    "This is ******!, We can't ride out bikes in the dirt like this!"