clothing and c2c

5xcr
5xcr Posts: 195
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi I am soon riding the c2c and was thinking of getting humvee 3/4 shorts, baa baa merino baselayer, But i am unsure what to wear on top,and what sort of jacket to take.( thinking endura windstopper but is it foldable.).

Any ideas for the toplayer and jacket would be helpful.

5xcr :?
12hr days 5 days a week riding to work and back and still the energy to ride 2 other days

Comments

• I rode the c2c over easter and rode in a compression base layer (Blacks own brand and a Vanguard) a merino mid-layer and a cheap Altura waterproof toplayer. Bottom half I used sealskinz socks, full length tights and Endura baggies over the top.

Considering that we were still battling the elements with plenty of rain sleet and snow there was no point when I felt cold. Winter gloves (sealskinz) were an absolute godsend although I did switch to lightweight full finger gloves when I got warm.

The top windproof layer is a must...there are plenty of areas where the trails are exposed and some long fast downhills where you'd lose a lot of heat without wearing it. Even the best breathable fabrics aren't going to prevent a bit of sweat condensing on the inside of your jacket as some of the climbs are long and pretty intense. Best advise is use your zip to modulate your temperature, drink lots and eat loads of cake!!!
    Currently riding - Lapierre Zesty 314, as yet without any bling

New toy - Diamondback Mojito, SS rigid 29er

RIP 2007 Cube Acid - Stolen by pikeys