disc brakes for older bikes

jasonj
jasonj Posts: 28
edited April 2010 in MTB general
Hi all ,
Iv,e recently seen a disk brake adapter for a hardtail (on old v brakes with no caliper tabs) that is held on with the QR . its on a current website butI cant find it again,can anyone point me in the right direction , alternatly does an adapter exist that fits beetween the stays instead of just to the seat stay.
cheers all
jason

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Looked in the FAQs?

please do.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jasonj
    hi there ... yes i did check but it only shows the atoz , I'm sure i saw an alternate that fits between the stays , the issue with the atoz as far as i can find is the fit isnt always good and it moves even under light braking. the bike that I'm interested in the mod is an old Gary fisher circa 1997 that one of my friends rides.. he seems to end up with rebuilding his rear wheel every year as the v brakes chew up the rim , we tend to do most of our riding in and around the peaks so its all about the grit :) .
    if there's a way of mounting a caliper between the stays it will be a more sturdy mod , any thoughts on that??
    cheers
    Jason
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    Brake Therapy

bt_conversion343x343.jpg

limited hub compatibility and not cheap (100 GBP+ from what I can see, which is at least cheaper than they used to be)
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    I had an A2Z on my old GT aggressor. It did the job perfectly and never caused any problems at all. Really dont know what all the bad press is about as long as you have a flat whats'it. They can be modded really easy to your bikes preferance as well, I drilled another hole to locate an allen bolt, just to give it a little more stability when the wheel wants to trn backwards.

With regards to the comment I read that the whole thing needs to be dissassembled to take the wheel off..... The survey says...... what a load of crap! just take the skewer out of the wheel. Two seconds extra work?
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    or buy HS33 for £120 for the set and have a 26" rotor to play with .
  • paulscutt
    paulscutt Posts: 332
    think the adapter the op is on about is the A2Z adapter as above

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en& ... CBkQrQQwAA
    **2009 Trek Remedy 8**

Specialized P.3 (custom) w/ Deore hydro discs, XT group, Blackspire device, Mavic D321's
  • jasonj
    THANKS ALL ,
    i will pass on all your info to my friend, the atoz looks like his best option.
    chhers
    jason