Need some help with padded shorts what ones are good?

midiman33
midiman33 Posts: 16
edited April 2010 in MTB general
Hi I need to buy some padded shorts because my ar** is killing me.

I need something that I can use on the trails for rides up to two hours.

What good ones are on the market?

They need to provide support for the men region and make riding a joy.

Thanks

Comments

• Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I suggest a checking of your saddle. I can ride on mine (and it looks like a razor) without any padding for miles and it's comfy - yours should be the same. I use padded (Altura ProGels under Endura Singletracks) undershorts because it makes longer rides comfier.
  • midiman33
    I would like to use normal shorts if possible.

So I would like something padded that goes underneath.

Thanks
  • Surf-Matt
    Well the ones I have are very good - Altura Progels and cost around £40 - not a bargain but not too costly. Mine are lasting really well - and I do a lot of miles. You can wear them on their own but I refuse to do so.

Beware really cheap ones - the padding moves about and is about as useful as sitting on a blob of cotton wool.

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... ctID=20637
  • midiman33
    They look good.

The ones I keep seeing are 6 panel.

Do I need the 8 panels?

Thanks
  • MarkDon
    MarkDon Posts: 200
    I bought some Endura Zyme baggy shorts a while back, got a numb ass after 4hrs in the saddle, so bought some Endura 6 panel lycra shorts to go under them, and by god, i did the same ride a week later and i was only a tiny bit sore near the end of the ride, and was fine after it & the next day!
    2009 Kona Blast Deluxe - W.I.P Started...
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12693279
  • I like the various endura shorts, although I seem to have had a few liners that had problems with the pad stitching disintegrating. LBS swapped them no problem though

I like them because you can buy the liners seperately and the outers are nice and hardwearing

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Sear ... dura+baggy

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    I suggest a checking of your saddle.

I agree with this. 2 hours in the saddle is not really that long a time to start getting discomfort - check the position on rails, seat post height and angle of the saddle and go from there. With regards to padded shorts, I personally prefer a pair that can be used with a variety of different shorts.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Endura make some Coolmax boxers with a pad that you can wear under whatever shorts. They fit a bit small though, might want to order a size bigger than usual.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Well the ones I have are very good - Altura Progels and cost around £40

+hot dogs.

Although I got mine through Wiggle for £30 iirc.

The endura coolmax pads are good too, the set I got in my Humvees recently hold up well in the comfort test, not quite as good as the Pro Gels but not bad considering you got shorts and inners for £45.
  • Elliot Ross
    Elliot Ross Posts: 182
    i dont know if you want some tight fitting shorts but if so, in soccer world they do some great shorts with load of padding for a tenner. They are Karimor and i have them and they look and fell great
  • midiman33
    Thanks.

I purchased a pair of Altura ProGel Shorts online.

I just hope they fit ok and can be worn under my normal shorts.
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    I'm not happy with my cheapo ones. the legs ride up and the waist rides down, so I'm constantly having to re-adjust.

Looking to try some bib style ones...
  • Surf-Matt
    wheezee wrote:
    I'm not happy with my cheapo ones. the legs ride up and the waist rides down, so I'm constantly having to re-adjust.

Looking to try some bib style ones...

Not needed with Progels unless you're a funny shape. They stay up (and the legs stay down) without any issues. I could never wear bib shorts. Knowing my luck I'd get run over, need to go in an ambulance and be "discovered." Worse than wearing your worst beige Y fronts and getting "uncovered."

No no no.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    my cheap ones are the most comfy I have! the elastic grippers I have on a pair of alturas are pointless and ride up, and nothing else matches the pad for comfort as on the cheap one
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    How did you know about my beige Y-fronts?

Starting to feel a little uncomfortable now.
  • Surf-Matt
    wheezee wrote:
    How did you know about my beige Y-fronts?

Starting to feel a little uncomfortable now.

The internet (or FBI - closest I could fine) has eyes everywhere - even in your pant drawer...

FBI%2Bis%2Bwatching%2Byou.jpg
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Wearing normal shorts over the top may not be helping.Bike specific ones tend not to have bulky seams in all the wrong places! :lol:

Seeing as you can get good shorts these dyas like Endura Humvees and Zymes,there`s nor reason not to be be comfortable.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • floosy
    floosy Posts: 270
    I wear bibshorts under my endura single tracks.... comfy all day....

Dave.
  • worth getting the pro gel liner shorts for 21 quid?
  • RockingDad
    RockingDad Posts: 239
    what bike and saddle type do you have? The cost of a decent pair of shorts may be better employed on a new saddle. The saddle on my old bike was punishing but I could still ride for a reasonable time on it, the saddle was cheap and nasty really and not rail mounted. on the carrera the saddle is much better and I can ride for a couple of hours with no padding.

Lets see some pics fella.

RD
    2010 Carrera Fury
    1992 Raleigh Equipe