Wow, sram are stupid

joshtp
joshtp Posts: 3,966
edited April 2010 in MTB general
http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/artic ... -25792well, more specificly, Rock shox

a 140mm Argyle.... Isnt that just a pike? maybe a bit heavyer?

they really are being div's
I like bikes and stuff

Comments

• stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/more-sram-2011-off-road-goodies-at-sea-otter-25792well, more specificly, Rock shox

Maybe they are chopping the Pike for 2011 then ?
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    joshtp/mbukman being the burning bush that you are, perhaps you should contact the "stupid ones" at SRAM and make some suggestions.. :roll:
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    stevet1992 wrote:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/more-sram-2011-off-road-goodies-at-sea-otter-25792well, more specificly, Rock shox

Maybe they are chopping the Pike for 2011 then ?

^wise mans bet^
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Except the Pikes have alloy stanchions and steerer, the argyle has steel ones :roll:
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    peter413 wrote:
    Except the Pikes have alloy stanchions and steerer, the argyle has steel ones :roll:

Argyle now has alloy stanchion. didnt read about the steerer though.

When you think about it the Pike will probably be dropped. I mean the Revs last year everyone said there wasn't much difference between them and the Pikes and now another fork is close enough to become them.
  • peter413
    heez29 wrote:
    peter413 wrote:

Argyle now has alloy stanchion. didnt read about the steerer though.

When you think about it the Pike will probably be dropped. I mean the Revs last year everyone said there wasn't much difference between them and the Pikes and now another fork is close enough to become them.

I do quite like the name pike though (it is a weapon, not just a fish :wink: ) although would probably never buy any since I am a foxy man :wink::lol:
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    i agree that the pike will probably be droped, as the cheaper ones have steel steerers meaning they are totaly, exaclty the same as argyles.

it will be a shame though... the pike is iconic
    I like bikes and stuff
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Cheaper Pikes? Fisher are only bring one model in this year.

The pike is now an old design, it may be strong but it has been replaced with lighter more advance forks.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There will be a bit of an overhaul this year, especially in the naming of forks ie letters after the name which match the functions. RL seems to be the Moco unit, which is silly, as it should be RLC.

The Argyle looks to be a Pike with tuned internals and lighter uppers.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The pike is now an old design, it may be strong but it has been replaced with lighter more advance forks.

Agreed... At the very least it needs a revamp, it strikes me they'd be daft to let the name die off though, it's probably one of their big names.
    peter413 wrote:
    I do quite like the name pike though (it is a weapon, not just a fish :wink:

I like to think it's named after the fish though.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    all the new higher end RS forks have new shape lowers and bush buldges ect except for the pikes, my moneys on they will be ditching them shortly.

who actually buys pikes now? you do trail/am you buy revs you do am/ light dh you buy lyriks do pikes even have a place in the market anymore?
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    I'd actually like a Pike, I would be replacing a 110mm Z1 with something equally as strong.

Most of the current 4 inch travel forks seem to be xc based and the burly forks are longer travel. If I want to stay away from DJ forks to try and keep the weigh down I seem to have 3 good choices. Fox 831's, that are expensive. Marzocchi 4x, who haven't had the best reliability lately or Pikes.
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    richg1979 wrote:
    who actually buys pikes now? you do trail/am you buy revs you do am/ light dh you buy lyriks do pikes even have a place in the market anymore?

You might want to call Specialized and tell them then, they're still fitting them to the model that sells out every single year. Clearly they didn't get the memo. :roll:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    And why are they buying those? Because they can buy thousands of them for cheap. But that's not a very good reason for a rider to buy one.

I like Pikes but they're behind the times now, that's just a fact, Rockshox could easily produce a better Pike but so far they've chosen not to which is a shame.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    Pike might be iconic in a name - but so was Judy, and they replaced it with a DART! Mag too was a big RS name.

The Pike is a tough fork - the lowers are still heavier than the power bulged Revs which is why they (look to) stay on the Argyle, the extra weight reinforces the brace. It also has a bigger crown than the Rev, and thicker stanchions.

One good thing that can happen with this that the lower models get some of these features ie the Recon, and for years the Tora had the same lowers as the Rev (which is why I refused to buy the old rev)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    supersonic wrote:
    Pike might be iconic in a name - but so was Judy, and they replaced it with a DART! Mag too was a big RS name.

well they did dumb down the "Judy" to the "J" just before the end.

and could you call the Judy TT a Suspension fork?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    The TT was bad - they certainly dumbed it down. But still, the name was a big one for RS in the late 90s and the very early 00s - I had both Judy Races.

Then the SL got steel stanchions, then the J as you say. Game over.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    edited April 2010
    nicklouse wrote:
    well they did dumb down the "Judy" to the "J" just before the end.

So I'll have a "P" please then Bob :wink:

seems to me that they've let the pike slip behind in recent years, not even bothering to update the brake mount to PM. Would be a shame to see this venerable old gent go the way of that sl@g Judy but times move on; next year we will all be riding a fork named after the pattern on a pair of socks. Go figure.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    I think they should call it the Pikey.

Throw anything at it and it still doesn't care. Although it'll probably nick other bits of your bike!
    Craig Rogers
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    My god ............. the friction damping on the TT ,that rocked :lol:

Its a shame to see the possibilty of the pike going,but I think Rock shox needs to reduce the line up a bit. I think at last count they had around 99 forks and shocks on there site,this only includes retail models as far as Im aware,goodness knows how many oems are not included.

I ride a tora U-turn and love it, simple strong heavy but does all I need and simple to service,but why do we need to have 7 models of the Tora for example?
    A Tora for xc one for trail and a U-turn should do.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Too many options never hurts imho. Everyone gets exactly what he wants.
    But too little choices, and someones will have to compromise.

They should keep the Pikes, but if they ditch it,
    then with what the Pitch will come, Revs or Argyles?
    Hmmm....
  • stevet1992
    Xtreem wrote:

Surely with less options, RS can produce more of the fewer options and drive prices down ?

• xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    stevet1992 wrote:
    Xtreem wrote:

Surely with less options, RS can produce more of the fewer options and drive prices down ?
    Maybe, but I think only RS has the lowest prices.
    Fox, Magura, DT are too expensive for what you get.
    Only Marzocchi offers similar forks to RS at similar prices, but everyone is moaning on their quality.

The only cheaper alternatives are RST and Suntour.

But I do want a cheaper RS fork. :wink: :twisted:
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Xtreem wrote:

They should keep the Pikes, but if they ditch it,
    then with what the Pitch will come, Revs or Argyles?
    Hmmm....

Neither, a Sektor would be perfect for the Pitch
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • jazzyg
    jazzyg Posts: 2
    It would be nice to see the Pike updated, with either black box or mission control damping, so like a shorter travel, lighter Lyrik, but still tougher than a Revelation.
  • stevet1992
    jazzyg wrote:
    It would be nice to see the Pike updated, with either black box or mission control damping, so like a shorter travel, lighter Lyrik, but still tougher than a Revelation.

You can bet your bottom dollar that wont happen ! Not with this Argyle coming along

• peter413
    stevet1992 wrote:
    jazzyg wrote:

You can bet your bottom dollar that wont happen ! Not with this Argyle coming along

But the argyle will still be made for DJ's won't it.

It will be tuned for that