marzocchi all mountain 4,any good?

ropey
ropey Posts: 96
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking at buying a set of used marzocchi all mountain 4 air to go on a kona dawg frame.Has anyone got any experience of them?
Would they be considered plush?I think they were out before marzocchi forks started having reliability issues

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what year?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ropey
    nicklouse wrote:
    what year?

Not sure yet,still waiting on info from the seller
  • nicklouse
    Ok generalizing they are the worst of a not very good range of forks.

but some were better than others.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • ropey
    nicklouse wrote:
    Ok generalizing they are the worst of a not very good range of forks

Thats good enough :D ......think I'll look else where then :wink:
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    look at the older zocchi forks from 2000 to 2006 . that's when they were at their best.
  • nicklouse
    ropey

I was just not that impressed with the AMs but the AM 1 was good.
    NatoED wrote:
    look at the older zocchi forks from 2000 to 2006 . that's when they were at their best.
    a bit too general as the AM range is in there as well,
  • ropey
    I'm looking for a half decent set of forks and saw the am4's for 40 odd pounds,so thats why I thought of getting them.
    I'm building on a budget but I'm in no rush,so I'll keep an eye out for some Tora's or Marzoccchi Mx's instead I'd say
  • nicklouse
    for 40 you cant really go wrong. as you can fit other internals.

check the travel for suitability as the AM were longer than the others you mention.
  • ropey
    nicklouse wrote:
    check the travel for suitability as the AM were longer than the others you mention.

Yeah,thats another thing I'm waiting to hear back from the seller.
    Ideally,I'm looking for 120mm travel,but could go to 130mm.Couldn't find much info on the AM4's on the web(only a 140mm model),and it might be just me,but couldn't even find any on the Marzocchi site.
  • nicklouse
    they are on Marzs webby but you need to know the year.

and some were OE only...
  • ropey
    Turns out the Dawg is only good for 130mm(got in touch with Kona to be sure),they were a 140mm 2007 by the way,but thanks anyway for the help nicklouse 8)