XC Bike Advice: Giant Anthem X2 v Trek Top Fuel 8 + others?

Broonster
Broonster Posts: 440
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking at dipping into the market for a light-ish full sus XC bike, up to 100mm travel, and would be looking at spending around £2k-ish. I have to admit though that I'm not 100% up to speed with this kind of bike, having normally concentrated my drooling over bigger suspenson & bigger hit bikes! :D

Soooo, as I currently have a Giant Reign, and think the Maestro suspension is pretty ace, I think the Anthem X2 is more than a worthy contender, along with the fact is seems to get very decent write ups.

I don't know so much about the Trek Top Fuel 8 though, although it does seem to have a similar type of spec (?). Anyone got one? Feedback? Can't seem to find the weight of this bike either :?

Also, are there any other bikes in this bracket that I should seriously look at?
Winter: Moda Nocturne
Road: Cervelo R3
'Cross: Ridley X-Night
Commuter: Genesis Day One

Comments

• solarflash
    solarflash Posts: 102
    Morewood zula got a good write up in WMB this month. Orange st4/commencal super 4 for more trail bike than xc bike but with the same travel.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Just get the Anthem! :lol:
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Broonster
    Just get the Anthem! :lol:

If I'm being honest, that IS pretty much what I'm thinking at the moment! :lol:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,799
    Can you stretch to an X1? :D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Broonster
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Hmmm, I have to say it was tempting. But, is it REALLY worth an extra £750? :? You seem to get a pretty decent spec on the X2 and I can't see that I'd notice a huge difference by upgrading.

Any piccies of your ride? :D
  • Stevo_666
    I had the same dilemma just over a year ago. The head said it wasn't really worth it, the heart said go for it - so I did :) Also I avoided any feeling of upgrade-itis for longer knowing I had the top of the range alloy version (mega buck carbon jobbies didn't count). The only thinkg I've changed so far is to add a riser bar, which they now come with as standard.

Either way you won't be diasappointed 8)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • The Spiderman
    Broonster wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Hmmm, I have to say it was tempting. But, is it REALLY worth an extra £750? :? You seem to get a pretty decent spec on the X2 and I can't see that I'd notice a huge difference by upgrading.

Any piccies of your ride? :D

Definitely not worth £750 extra when you look at the specs.You could buy some bling superlight wheels and still have change with the X2.

In fact I think the X3 is the one to have,in terms of value......... :wink:
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • Broonster

I just KNEW someone would say that! :lol:

When you have a budget though, you just want to spend it! :wink::lol:
  • go for x2 i have one and will guarantee you wont be dissappointed. what frame size you after?
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • Broonster wrote:

Spiderman is right - the X1 is v bad vfm - not quite sure what Giant were thinking there
  • Stevo_666
    Tostaryman wrote:
    Broonster wrote:

Spiderman is right - the X1 is v bad vfm - not quite sure what Giant were thinking there
    Fair point this year - list price on the X1 now is about £2.7k. Last year they could be had for £2k which made them decent value (oh, and the colours were nicer last year :P )
  • The Spiderman
    Broonster wrote:

If you want to spend the money,buy the X3 then use the change,for some Stans Crest rims built on to some DT Swiss or XTR hubs,Formula R1 brakes,Easton EC90 carbon riser bars,etc.

That black and red colour scheme looks great too.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • Broonster
    Update: Been into Dales in Glasgow earlier today to check out the X2 in the flesh (Confession: I haven't even considered looking at the Trek after all, or any other bike for that matter! :lol: )

I need an XL frame and they only had a L (in the X3) an a M (in the X2), so couldn't get a test ride organised. Put a small deposit down though, as they have an XL in stock and is on the job sheet to be built up now, ready for me to go and test next Tuesday.

So, unless I fnd the bike to be utter crap,which I think is unlikely, or it doesn't fit me that great, I reckon I'll be heading home at some point soon with an X2 :D