Any Cotswold riders?

daj
daj Posts: 139
edited April 2010 in Road beginners
Now the nights are drawing out is there anyone in the Cotswolds willing to take a newbie under there wings for midweek evening rides (and weekends).

:D

Cheers

daj

Comments

• where abouts are you in cotswolds
  • daj
    Stow on the Wold or Blockley :D
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    If you can get yourself over to Cheltenham then my club (University of Gloucestershire Cycling Club) will be doing some midweek rides starting in the next few weeks. Unless your a student you can't officially join the club but you can always tag along and for any insurance reasons you "just happened to be cycling in the same direction" if you get what I mean!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    daj, PM sent
  • Hi.I from cheltenham way too if anyone fancies a saturday ride.
    SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES; NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Ice cream hut in Pitville, Cheltenham:

Tuesday morning 9.00 (1, sometimes 2 groups)
    Tuesday evening 7.15? (1 group)
    Thursday evening 7.15 (3 groups)
    Saturday morning 9.15 (2 groups)
    Sunday morning 8.30 (then reverts to 9.00 for GMT hours) (3 groups + faster group)
  • daj
    De Sisti wrote:
    Ice cream hut in Pitville, Cheltenham:

Tuesday morning 9.00 (1, sometimes 2 groups)
    Tuesday evening 7.15? (1 group)
    Thursday evening 7.15 (3 groups)
    Saturday morning 9.15 (2 groups)
    Sunday morning 8.30 (then reverts to 9.00 for GMT hours) (3 groups + faster group)

Is that with Cheltenham cycling club?
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    It's with the CTC and Cheltenham & County. The CTC A ride is pretty quick.
    The CTC B ride on Thursday can be ok too. The CTC B ride on Sundays is slower
    than the Thursday one (different bunch of riders). The Cheltenham & County ride
    on Sundays is very fast.

Oh, and if you're extremely fast there's the VC Montpelier riders who ride on Tuesday
    evenings (De La Bere Hotel?) and Saturday mornings.
  • I ride in cheltenham on many of the rides listed above. Or at least i normally do but i'm away for a few months.

Check:

http://cheltenhamctc.wordpress.com/index/

and

http://www.cc-cc.co.uk/

If you're a beginner then CTC Thursday night is good place to start as you can do a slower ride the first week and see how you fit in. Or if evenings aren't your thing then Cheltenham and County do a Saturday morning ride, the "leisure" ride which will go as slow as needed for the slowest person (within reason), it's meant for new people i think. There's a sportier ride at the same time to the same desination but faster and longer, the leisure ride route is available on bikely.com for example this saturday is

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Le ... each-short

Sunday rides might be a bit long to begin.

I hope to be home and out on saturday morning and there's normally a decent crowd at the start.
    M_G
  • daj
    great stuff lots to be thinking about, Have downloaded an application form for Cheltenham & County club.

Thanks